There Comes a Child

Book II, Part Eight


Youko Kurama slowly drifted awake from his nap. He didn't open his eyes immediately; over the past few days, the outside world had faded in importance compared to the signals from his body.

First, there was hunger. A faint twinge of it nagged at him, urging him to rise and refuel himself. He ignored it for the moment, however. It wasn't the gut-twisting emptiness of a true craving, merely the restlessness from not having eaten since falling asleep.

That discomfort brushed aside, he concentrated next on his skin. He stretched lazily, exploring the coolness of the sheets against his shoulders and arms. He knew Hiei wasn't with him; from the temperature, the fire demon hadn't been in the bed for some time.

He listened for any sounds from outside the bedroom to give him a clue to his bonded's location. Hiei had been so active and vocal in the past few days, as his inhibitions were obliterated, it had become relatively easy to pinpoint him by all the noise. Hearing nothing, and not sensing the distinctive pattern of the fire demon's vastly enhanced ki, he returned to his musing.

He ran his fingers over his neck, searching. The previous night's marks had healed fully, implying that he had only a few hours before once again submitting to the transfer. He rubbed his throat reflectively. He enjoyed the process, there was no doubt of that. Beyond the psychological satisfaction it gave him to know he was participating in the creation of a new life, and the spiritual closeness it fostered between him and his mate, there was a purely physical pleasure in the joining that he anticipated for its own sake.

And yet...the sheer inevitability of it couldn't help but detract from the experience. He liked variety and spontaneity in his love life. Freedom. It wasn't that he regretted the decision that led to this constant, forced repetition--he would willingly give far more for such a goal--it was simply that, above anything, he was tired of being tired.

He rolled onto his stomach, cuddling his pillow to him. He recalled a few times over the past month when he had been less than enthusiastic about his role. He hoped Hiei understood that it wasn't due to a lack of appreciation.

He opened his eyes at last and gazed at the pillow in his arms, imagining it to be the form of his feisty little youkai. "I want to make love to you," he assured the soft bundle. "Not because it's required, but because you fill me with more emotion than my body can contain. I want to feel your arms around me without wondering when you'll sink your fangs in my neck."

He gave the defenseless cushion a fierce squeeze. "I want to stay awake long enough to enjoy you more than once!" he growled.

The pillow only lay there, unprotesting.

He sighed and released it, pushing himself up into a sitting position. With the limited period of wakefulness he had available to him, he should find a more productive way to spend it than harrassing the furnishings. Lately, he had been using this opportunity to navigate the farthest, deepest reaches of the palace, memorizing its layout and security precautions. He didn't actually intend to steal any of the Reikai's treasures--not after everything that had happened the last time--but one never knew when such information might come in handy.

Besides, it was amusing to watch the guards' reactions to his presence.

He got out of bed, checked himself in the mirror, combed his fingers briefly through his hair to make sure his appearance was satisfactory, and left the room. Already planning a route to an area his mental map indicated ought to contain a hidden chamber, he nearly missed the dark figure in the suite's main room.

He paused, his faint smile fading from surprise. "Hiei?"

It was the Koorime, but he had clamped down so firmly on his ki that he was practically invisible to demonic senses. He was sitting sprawled on the stone floor next to the couch as if someone had cut his legs out from under him. His expression, when he looked up at the youko's approach, was one of intense puzzlement verging on frustration.

"Hiei?" Kurama repeated, kneeling in front of his mate. The youkai wasn't always at his most coherent when dealing with people, not with his paranoia and protectiveness overwhelming his judgment. If someone had visited during the kitsune's nap, there was no telling what exchange may have occurred. "What's wrong?"

The smaller demon cocked his head and considered, frowning. "Can't move," he admitted at last, his taut voice betraying his tension. "Fox, I..." His eyes widened as a shiver passed through him.

Kurama reached out to touch him, then stopped, his fingertips close enough to detect the other's body heat. He didn't completely understand what was happening within his bonded. What delicate balance of power and will might he upset with a well-meaning gesture?

"Can't keep--" Hiei began, then broke off, panting. He pressed his lips together and struggled to contain a surge of energy, but despite his efforts, the youko could feel his temperature rise.

"It's the baby," Kurama whispered, hardly believing his own words. He let his hand descend to rest on his partner's shoulder. "If the baby's coming, Hiei, stop fighting it. Conserve your strength." He drew back and stood, his heart already racing. "I'm going to get help."

"Don't!" the youkai ordered through clenched teeth. "Don't leave."

"It'll only take a few minutes, and then I'll come right--"

"Kurama...don't."

The kitsune froze at the edge of panic contained in the simple request. He took a deep breath to collect his thoughts. The fire demon wasn't in any condition to be reasonable. "We can't do this alone," he said firmly. He had only the vaguest idea what was about to take place. All he knew was that the baby's health would depend a great deal on Hiei's state of mind during the birth. "I won't leave, but I'm going to call for someone. You want Yukina to be here to see our child, don't you?"

The ruby gaze held him for a long moment, then the youkai lowered his head in assent. Kurama turned and strode to the door of their suite, throwing it open. It would have been convenient if they had kept the phone in their room, but Hiei had thrown it out, claiming that it was preventing his mate from getting the sleep he needed. While true at the time, it meant that now they would have to rely on another form of communication.

Here in the residential section of the palace, traffic wasn't as constant, but there were always a few oni traveling the corridors. The youko grabbed the closest--a green-skinned fellow on his way to the public bath--by the neck. Leaning down so that his narrow golden eyes were on a level with the other's pale bulging ones, he delivered his brief message in a tone that made it clear which of them was on the top of the food chain. "Find Botan. Tell her it's time."

The oni staggered when he was released, desperately clutching his bucket of supplies in one hand and the towel around his waist with the other. "H--hai!" he stammered, scrambling away as quickly as his weakened knees allowed.

Kurama returned to the suite and settled next to the Koorime, whose temperature had risen noticeably in the short span he had been gone.

Throughout the past month, Hiei had unfailingly cared for his needs; now it was his turn to be the one to provide support, yet he didn't know how. He had no experience to compare with the task his bonded was facing, no way to determine what would aid in or hinder the process. All he had to guide him were his intuition and common sense, and the latter was rapidly deserting him now that reality was beginning to thunder through him like the pounding of his heartbeat.

The baby was coming. He had talked about it, dreamed of it, but nothing had prepared him. Here he was, listening to his mate's stubborn, labored breathing as he channeled a new soul into its corporeal form. Soon the ki they had shared in their passion would become a solid, living child, a precious reminder of everything they were together.

Moving completely by instinct, he clasped the smaller youkai's hand. "I'm here, love." He interlaced their fingers, disregarding the increasingly uncomfortable heat. "Try to relax. This baby has been part of you for a long time, but he wants to be his own person now. Let him."

Hiei didn't speak, but from the answering pressure of his hand, he was listening.

Hurried footsteps in the hallway preceded the arrival of their first visitor. Amiboshi took in the situation at a glance and nodded a greeting to the youko. "Botan's on her way. She went to notify Yukina-san."

"Are you a messenger, or are you here to stay?"

"Whatever you need most."

"Very well." Kurama used his free hand to indicate a pile of bags and packages in the far corner. "Start getting the baby's things ready." His mother had taken the girls on a shopping expedition for the baby's immediate necessities. "I don't know how long this will take, but it's better to be prepared in advance. You know what a newborn requires?"

"I've been present for many births in my village," the former healer replied as he set about making himself useful. "At first I merely calmed the fathers, but then the women found my music could ease their pain by focusing their minds." He looked over his shoulder at the couple. "I could try that here, if he's having difficulty."

The kitsune regarded his bonded. The fire demon's attention had turned inward to guide the tremendous energies battling for independence within him. "Not yet," Kurama decided. There didn't seem to be any physical pain involved, and he would rather not affect the natural pattern of the Koorime's thoughts unless he had no other choice. Not that he couldn't have done with a bit of the musician's calming influence himself. There were so many questions, impressions, and anxieties whirling through his mind, it was difficult to concentrate on anything besides the force of his lover's grip--a contact that, despite its welcome presence as an emotional anchor, was itself becoming more and more painful every moment due to the heat of the powered up fire demon's ki.

"Oniisan?"

Startled, the youko turned toward the doorway, where Botan had finally arrived with two guests. He had been so intent on his thoughts, he hadn't noticed their approach. "Yukina...'Kaasan!" With a final squeeze, he released Hiei's hand and rose to welcome the three women.

Botan smiled and waved, then went to stand next to Amiboshi by the baby supplies. Yukina moved at once to her brother, holding her palms over him to sense his condition. "How has he been?" she asked the fox.

"Very quiet. He was confused at first, when he lost control of his power, but he's stabilized since then." His tail swished against his legs, the only outward sign of his impatience as he waited for her to finish her examination. At last she lowered her arms, her expression tender, and the kitsune could restrain himself no longer. "Is he...?"

"Just fine," she assured him, returning to his side. Behind them, Botan sighed with relief. "The baby's almost ready."

Kurama couldn't prevent a grin of pride from stealing over his features. "Did you hear that?" he asked Shiori.

"Yes, I did," she answered with a touch of humor. "Soon you'll have your own little demon keeping you awake all night, running you ragged, driving you to distraction..."

His ears drooped. "'Kaasan..." he protested plaintively, then recovered and winked. "I already have Hiei for that." He leaned down and kissed her cheek. "Thank you for coming."

"It's an honor, Shuuichi."

"Your first grandson." His gaze slid over to his bonded. "If Hiei weren't so occupied, I'm sure he'd be..." he trailed off. He thought at first that he must be imagining the slight distortion in the air around the fire demon, but then he realized what was happening. "Yukina," he began, calling on the one person who wouldn't be harmed by the heat, "help me get his clothes off."

"What?!" Botan exclaimed while the two started peeling the black garments off the semi-conscious youkai. "Why are you--?" Then she, too, noticed the lines of smoke trailing up from the smoldering cloth. "But..." she hesitated, blushing. "Why can't Yukina use her power to cool him down? Why do you have to, um..." she faltered as Kurama finished removing the second belt.

"If I try to counter my brother's ki," the ice demoness explained as she left the youko to handle the more personal items, "he may perceive it as an attack. Diverting any of his energy now, even in self-defense, could seriously harm the child."

"I see." Blushing even further at her own choice of words, the spirit guide turned her back on the scene.

Amiboshi touched her lightly on the arm. "Are you okay?"

"Mm," she answered easily. "But I don't want to miss anything!"

Kurama retreated from the fire demon's incipient meltdown in time to catch the look exchanged between the two. His sensitive ears couldn't help picking up the musician's murmured reply, "Daijoubu. I'll share everything with you."

Then his mother diverted his attention with a query. "How hot is he likely to become? Should we leave the room?"

Yukina extended her ki to cover the vulnerable human. "This stage should be over in a moment. His power is beginning to coalesce. Look..."

After a brief silence, Botan prompted, "Well?"

"He's...glowing," the Seishi said, his voice filled with awe. "It's like a bright spark, just over his heart."

While Amiboshi continued his soft commentary, the kitsune found himself riveted to the sight of his mate curled protectively around a pinpoint of light. The color of it shifted as he watched, ranging from a rich, passionate purple to bold red, refreshing green, icy blue, and a dazzling silver-white. The amount of energy being focused into that tiny soul-seed made it shine with eye-watering brilliance.

"It's beautiful," Shiori whispered, unashamed of the tears tracing down her cheeks. She reached out and put an arm around her son's waist, strengthening the sense of connection between generations.

He was grateful for the support. He would have expressed the same sentiment, but he could not bring himself to speak. Words were inadequate. How many parents ever had the chance to marvel at their child's naked soul--and, through that vision, a piece of their own?

Hiei shifted position, tucking himself more closely around the infant soul, hiding it from view so that barely a glimmer escaped. The remainder of his carefully hoarded ki drained from him in a burst so intense even the barely sensitive human winced.

It took the youko several seconds to recover from the shock of the implosion. Once he overcame his paralysis, however, he stepped forward and sank down by the side of the disoriented fire demon. He placed a hand on the other's shoulder, preparing to lean close to see more than a glimpse of the silver-topped bundle cradled in Hiei's arms, then drew back in surprise. "'Kaasan," he called out, quickly snuggling up behind the youkai and wrapping him in a warm embrace.

"Yes, Shuuichi?"

"Could you care for the baby? Hiei's freezing, and he's probably exhausted. I should take him to bed." He brushed his fingers over the infant's soft, fluffy hair. He wanted to hold his son, but there would be plenty of time for that after he had attended to his mate's needs.

The fire demon rested against his chest. "K'rama," he said, his voice a husky echo of its normal deep resonance.

"Hmm?"

"Next time..."

The fox chuckled and buried his nose in the mass of black spikes. "I know," came the muffled reply.

Shiori approached with a blanket to wrap the baby. "Shh," she soothed when it began to fuss at being taken from its father. "I'll bet you're hungry, little one. 'Baasan has something special just for you." She smiled at her son and added, "Don't worry. I'll bring the baby in to you once we're finished here."

"Arigatou." While the others clustered around the human for their first look at the infant, he scooped up the shivering youkai and carried him into the bedroom. So much of the smaller demon's fire ki had gone into creating the child, he didn't have enough left over to maintain his normal body temperature.

Kurama laid his bonded on the recently vacated bed and curled around him to donate his warmth, pulling the blankets up over the both of them. "Better?" he asked quietly as he felt the other's involuntary tension ease.

"Hn." Hiei closed his eyes, absently stroking the tail curving over his stomach.

The youko sighed with pleasure, allowing himself to relax. His own drained body left him tired from the excitement, but happily so. "Just think," he said, half to himself, "we'll finally get to meet our son."

"...baka..." the fire demon mumbled.

And then he was asleep.

* * *

Though Hiei's slumber was as sound as it had ever been after releasing the full power of the Kokuryuuha, he roused instantly when the human entered the bedroom with his baby. The fox stirred as well, pushing himself up on one elbow as his mother placed the blanket-wrapped bundle in the hollow between their bodies.

"Feeding and diapering are taken care of," she said, smiling. "It's been a long time since... But now the three of you should get to know each other, so I'll leave you alone. Botan will take me back."

"'Kaasan, you don't have to go so soon," the youko protested.

"It's all right, Shuuichi. Yukina is staying for another day in case either of you needs anything, so someone has to tell the rest of your friends the good news." She put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Besides, I know you'll be home in a short while, and I'll be able to visit my beautiful granddaughter to my heart's content." With a final pat, she took her leave.

The Koorime watched his astonished mate carefully for his reaction. The fox had made no secret of his expectation, but when the moment of decision had come... Hiei's attention was distracted by their daughter squirming next to him. He hadn't realized so much would depend on the choices he made while bringing her into the world, though he should have suspected.

Kurama blinked slowly, then looked down at the baby. Her wide, alert eyes were the same deep crimson as those of her fire demon father. "A girl?" he asked, his voice holding a note of amazement.

The youkai remained silent, but he laid a palm gently over the infant's belly. She transferred her gaze to him, waving a tiny fist in the air. He couldn't help allowing a smile to touch his lips. The memory of being connected to her, of clothing her soul with his own flesh, was still vivid in his mind. Her appearance was a random blend of traits inherited from both him and the blood he had taken from his bonded, but her sex had been determined by his choice.

It was his will that had contained her energy long enough to create a soul, his focus that formed her into a living child instead of a ki blast that would have leveled the palace. He had drawn the necessary strength from his mate's presence; if the kitsune had left his side at the crucial moment, he doubted he would have been able to retain his grasp on the accumulated power.

You began by nearly destroying the afterlife. His smile broadened. It's a good start.

The youko enfolded one little hand in his large one, brushing the back of it with his thumb. "I always wanted a girl," he said with smug pride.

When Hiei glanced sharply at him in disbelief, he explained, "I wanted a daughter, but I didn't think it would be possible. With so much we didn't know about the process, it seemed most likely that a child created from the two of us would be male. I didn't want you to think I would love a son any less."

The fire demon raised one brow until it disappeared beneath his ward. He would never understand that crazy fox.

"It leaves me with one problem, however." Kurama bowed his head sheepishly. The baby tugged at his hair with her free hand. "I've only thought of boys' names."

"Hiko."

"What?"

"Her name. Hiko." He leaned closer to his daughter to catch her scent, memorizing as many details as he could. "Half from me," he clarified for the kitsune, who had been startled into speechlessness yet again, "and half youko."

"Hiei, you...?"

The youkai had surprised even himself with the thoughts he had been dwelling upon recently. For the first time, it had become important for him to consider the future. Perhaps it began as a side effect of his altered judgment, perhaps it was due to the hours he spent contemplating his sleeping mate, but it had quickly joined forces with his stubborn streak.

He truly wanted this child. He had entered into this arrangement believing that he was merely performing a service to keep his fox satisfied, but it had developed into much more. He found himself examining his situation as he would any anticipated venture, using the full resources of his strategic training.

He was competitive and territorial by nature. He had to be. It was how he survived. Thus, his deeper relationship with Kurama had not come easily. It was the most rewarding intimacy he had ever experienced, yet it also entailed a constant struggle. They were equal partners, but their strengths lay in different areas, and they continually tested each other's boundaries. The same was true of his interactions with the other Reikai Tantei--there was respect based on clashes of will and physical combat. It was all he knew.

This child was to be a reminder of the bond that existed between him and his fox; he wanted to give the best of them both without reservation, without concern over contests of dominance that could arise were he to have a son.

He wanted his child to be powerful, wise, beautiful, strong, ruthless with enemies, and gentle with friends. It didn't take long for him to arrive at the realization that he wanted to gift his bonded with a child like Yukina--the one person he had always loved more than his own life, who embodied the qualities he admired most. That was why, when provided the opportunity, his desires created the half-youko daughter whose heart now beat steadily against him.

"Hiko," Kurama repeated softly, regaining his voice. "It's perfect. *She's* perfect." He reached up slightly to stroke her cheek.

Instinctively she turned her head toward the touch, expecting another feeding. She closed her mouth around his finger, causing him to wince.

"Hiei?"

"Hn?"

"She has your fangs."

End Part 8

[previous] [next] [Fox and Phoenix page]
© 1998 Amparo Bertram