This page is written with a Japanese character set. Change your browser's encoding to Japanese for best results.
 
 

Aku Compounds

悪魔 Akuma Devil This is not necessarily the devil, as in Lucifer or Satan, but it is a term used for demons that are intrinsically evil. They are usually seen as inhabiting their own world or dimension. They enjoy pain and suffering and are typically motivated by the desire to create hell on earth.
邪悪 Jaaku See Ja

Butsu Compounds

化け物 Bakemono See Ka
怪物 Kaibutsu See Kai1
魔物 Mamono See Ma
物の怪 Mononoke Creature
Monster
This is a generic term for non-human creatures that have something supernatural about them. They live in the human world, but they typically do not have a human appearance.

Ja Compounds

邪悪 Jaaku Evil
邪道 Jadou Blasphemy
Heresy
This term literally means "evil path" and refers to a technique or method that strays from what is commonly accepted.
邪眼 Jagan Evil eye This can be, but is not limited to, a third eye in the middle of the forehead. The wielder of the evil eye can often mesmerize others, even to the point of controlling their actions. It may also have the power of clairvoyance.
邪気 Jaki Ill will
Evil intent

Ju Compounds

呪縛する Jubaku suru To restrain or bind with magic This term is used both literally, when people are paralyzed by magic, or metaphorically, such as when someone is motionless with shock at witnessing an unexpected event.
呪符 Jufu Written spell One of the most common ways of using Eastern magic is to write a spell on a rectangular slip of paper. The spell can then be invoked on a moment's notice either by shouting a command or by throwing the paper at a target. The advantage of this is speed, because there is no need to recite lengthy spells during combat. Another benefit is that the written spells can generally be used by anyone, regardless of magical ability. The drawback is that the caster is limited to the spells that have been prepared in advance.
呪具 Jugu Magical implement This is a tool used to store or focus one's magic power, much like a wand. It is frequently an item with religious significance, such as a ring of beads (juzu) or a monk's staff (shakujou).
呪術 Jujutsu Spellcasting ability
呪文 Jumon Spoken spell
呪殺する Jusatsu suru To kill with magic

Jutsu Compounds

呪術 Jujutsu See Ju
術者 Jutsusha Spellcaster
魔術 Majutsu See Ma
魔術師 Majutsushi See Ma

Juu Compounds

怪獣 Kaijuu See Kai1
神獣 Shinjuu See Shin

Ka Compounds

化け Bake- Changed
Magical
This is a prefix that indicates there is something supernatural about the creature in question. For example, bakeneko (neko = cat) is a magical cat that may either have a humanoid appearance or have the ability to shapeshift to appear human.
化け物 Bakemono Monster
Freak
This can refer to an actual monster. However, it is also a derogatory term for a person who is considered a "freak" for having psychic powers or other supernatural qualities. Since it is often applied in cases where parents reject their own children due to their unexpected magical talents, it is similar in function to the word "changeling."
変化(する) Henge
Henka suru
Transformation
To change
実体化する Jittaika suru To solidify
To materialize
A common theme in Japanese fantasy is a weapon that is insubstantial or contained within the wielder's body until summoned. This word is used when such a weapon takes on physical form. It can also refer to any immaterial being, such as a spirit, that can solidify. This is particularly important when battling creatures whose spirits can leave their physical bodies and attack at a distance, because often only a corporeal form can be effectively injured.
浄化する Jouka suru To purify
To cleanse
Certain holy people or sacred places have the ability to purify evil. This is an ability commonly associated with priestesses (miko) and cherry trees (sakura), among other things. Many times the only way to defeat a demon is to purify it.
化身 Keshin Personification
Manifestation
Sometimes gods or other powerful beings take on human form. This can occur either as a transformation, in which a god physically turns into a mortal; a type of possession, in which the deity descends into a human host; or a reincarnation, when a god has been killed and its soul is reborn as a human.

Kai1 Compounds

怪物 Kaibutsu Monster
怪人 Kaijin Superhuman This is used when someone has increased physical abilities, such as strength or speed. It does not necessarily imply any mental, spiritual, or magical abilities.
怪獣 Kaijuu Monstrous beast This is a large monster, such as a griffon, that is clearly a fearsome animal.
怪力 Kairyoku Superhuman strength
物の怪 Mononoke See Butsu
妖怪 Youkai See You

Kai2 Compounds

魔界 Makai See Ma
冥界 Meikai Realm of the dead This is a realm similar to Hades where deceased spirits spend eternity. Because the spirits in this realm do not reincarnate, it is often considered to be populated by non-human souls or souls that were too evil to continue on to another life.
人間界 Ningenkai See Nin
霊界 Reikai See Rei
仙界 Senkai Realm of sages This is a world that is not quite heaven, but is not really a place for normal humans either. It is populated by humans who have special powers, wisdom, or extended lifespans, either because they were born that way or because they devoted themselves to the pursuit of enlightenment.
天界 Tenkai See Ten

Ki1 Compounds

邪気 Jaki See Ja
気配 Kehai Sign This is a difficult concept to translate. It refers to the sense of something's or someone's presence. It is not something that can be detected with the normal five senses; it is more like an aura or "feeling."
霊気 Reiki See Rei
生気 Seiki Life energy This is the natural energy of one's vitality. Every living thing possesses it, to a greater or lesser degree. Many demons or demonic items feed on it.
妖気 Youki See You

Ki2 Compounds

餓鬼 Gaki Hungry demon
Ghoul
This is a lower-class demon that is characterized by its constant hunger.
鬼門 Kimon Demon gate In the Japanese myth system, geographical location is very important. It is said that demons--in particular, oni--can only attack from the northeast. This direction is called the "demon gate." The term can be extended to any specific point that is a source of disaster or misfortune.
吸血鬼 Kyuuketsuki Vampire
小鬼 Shouki Goblin Literally "small oni," this can refer to any low-level, physically small demon.

Ma Compounds

悪魔 Akuma See Aku
破魔 Hama Demon-destroying
魔道師 Madoushi Sorcerer This is literally "one who follows the magic path." It implies that the person has very strong magical powers.
魔法 Mahou Magic
魔法陣 Mahoujin Magic circle Similar to a pentagram, a magic circle can be used for protection of the spellcaster, to amplify one's powers, to contain a summoned creature, or as a visible manifestation of an incantation.
魔法師 Mahoushi Magician This refers to anyone who uses magic, regardless of power level.
魔法使い Mahoutsukai Magic-user
魔人 Majin Sorcerer
Warlock
Although the literal meaning is "magic person," this term often carries overtones of darkness or evil.
魔女 Majo Witch
魔術 Majutsu Magical arts
魔術師 Majutsushi Wizard This term implies a reasonable-to-high level of skill in the magical arts.
魔界 Makai Demon realm This world, frequently characterized as a type of hell, is usually an unforgiving wilderness. The inhabitants, whether mamono or youkai, live in a kill-or-be-killed society. If there is any form of government, it a hierarchical system where order is enforced through the sheer strength of the leader. Most demons are constantly trying to escape from their world to the human world.
魔物 Mamono Demon This type of demon can range from amorphous clouds of evil to animal-like beasts to stunningly beautiful humanoids. It is assumed that they see humans as nothing more than a great source of food, although occasionally the power of love can transform them into heroes.
魔王 Maou Demon king This being is the ruler of the demons due to his extreme power. He is commonly depicted as the equivalent of Satan, except that the role of king can change if another demon proves he is stronger than the current ruler.
魔力 Maryoku Magic power
魔性 Mashou Demon This is essentially the same as mamono.
魔除け Mayoke Ward Specifically, this is a type of charm or amulet that wards away evil.
夢魔 Muma Dream demon This is a lower-level demon that can enter and direct human dreams. It feeds on human emotion. Because of the association between sleeping and other activities performed in bed, the dream demons can be considered very seductive.
妖魔 Youma See You

Nin Compounds

小人 Kobito Dwarf
魔人  Majin See Ma
人間  Ningen Human
人間界  Ningenkai Human realm
人魚  Ningyo Mermaid The Japanese mermaid is commonly more vicious than the Western counterpart. In many instances, mermaids are flesh-eating creatures that prey on anyone unfortunate enough to fall into their sea. In some versions, the legendary creatures can bestow immortality on humans through various means.
人妖  Ninyou Half-human, half-demon
仙人  Sennin Sage Often translated as "hermit," these are people who were originally human but who removed themselves from humanity to devote their lives to greater mysteries. They are typically immortal and may have the ability to perform some magic, such as floating on clouds.

Rei Compounds

亡霊  Bourei Ghost
怨霊  Onryou Vengeful spirit This is the ghost of someone who died with a deep hatred. The spirit continues to seek revenge for whatever caused its torment in life. The spirit generally loses the ability to discriminate between the specific person or event that made it suffer and other related circumstances, so it can cause a great deal of trouble for people who are completely innocent. For example, the ghosts of soldiers killed in battle may continue to haunt the place where they were defeated, even centuries later, poisoning the land long after peace has returned. Vengeful spirits are likely to attack relatives of their murderers, even generations removed, and may extend their hatred to all living people.
霊界  Reikai Realm of the afterlife This is a world ruled by the deity Enma, who has at least one son. It is the place where human souls go to be judged. Once they are judged, they are sent on to their appropriate destination, which is typically reincarnation. Enma is responsible for seeing to it that human deaths go as planned; he has a book that contains information on every human. If something happens that was not ordained--whether it be an untimely death, a missing soul, or an unnaturally extended life--he employs special agents who see to it that everything is set back on track.
霊感  Reikan Sixth sense This is a kind of intuition that allows one to sense the supernatural. It can range from simple premonitions of danger to "second sight" to an ability to interact with spirits.
霊気  Reiki Spirit energy This is the type of power that people can wield without resorting to magic. It is a form of psychic energy unique to humans. It is considered to be a different "wavelength" from the type of energy that demons use.
霊力  Reiryoku/Reiriki Spirit power
精霊  Seirei See Sei
幽霊  Yuurei Ghost

Ryoku Compounds

超能力  Chounouryoku Superpowers These abilities can be either mental, physical, magical, or spiritual. The default is psychic powers, unless specified otherwise.
超能力者  Chounouryokusha Person with superpowers This is commonly translated as "esper" (i.e. "person with ESP").
怪力  Kairyoku See Kai1
魔力  Maryoku See Ma
能力  Nouryoku Ability This does not have to be a superhuman ability, but it is generally special or above average in some way.
能力者  Nouryokusha Person with ability
霊力  Reiryoku/Reiriki See Rei
妖力  Youryoku/Youriki See You

Sei Compounds

精霊  Seirei Nature spirit These creatures correspond to dryads, naiads, and other such spirits. They frequently appear human, though they are almost always intangible. It is common for them to be associated with elemental powers; people with magical powers based on the elements usually cast spells by commanding the seirei to obey them.
妖精  Yousei See You

Shin Compounds

犬神  Inugami Dog god This is a deity closely related to the kitsune. It takes the form of a dog and frequently associates with a human who can direct its powers most effectively.
神器  Jingi/Shinki Holy relic These are items that have either been created by or blessed by the gods. Mirrors and swords are the most common, but there are many variations.
神隠し  Kamikakushi Sacrifice to a god This is a term that refers to someone who mysteriously vanishes, as if taken by the gods. The person in question has generally been chosen as a sacrifice of some kind.
女神  Megami Goddess
式神  Shikigami Mystical servant This is a magical creature that serves a master and fights on his behalf. The shikigami may either have been created by the master's magic or somehow won over into the master's service. Unless they are possessing the master's body, Shikigami must be summoned or triggered by an incantation or written spell.
死神  Shinigami Grim Reaper
Angel of Death
These are beings who are responsible for ensuring that humans die at the correct time and that human souls reach their proper destinations. They are frequently depicted as humans who died and yet have a strong desire to remain in contact with the human world rather than reincarnating. They usually, though not always, have the best interests of humans in mind.
神獣  Shinjuu Holy beast These are creatures that are so powerful or spiritually symbolic that they are considered deities.
神話  Shinwa Myth
祟り神  Tatarigami Vengeful god Not all deities are benevolent. Some of them demand tribute, and some of them simply hate humans. This is a term for any god that wreaks havoc upon the human world, either for revenge or just on a whim.

Ten Compounds

堕天使  Datenshi Fallen angel The most famous of the fallen angels is Lucifer. In Japanese stories, Lucifer is much more strongly associated with angels than with demons.
天狗  Tengu Long-nosed goblin This is special kind of Japanese goblin known for its long nose.
天界  Tenkai Heavenly realm This is not heaven, in the sense that it is not a paradise for human souls. It is more equivalent to Mount Olympus, a realm where the gods and other immortal beings reside.
天女  Tennyo Goddess This is not a goddess in a religious sense. It would be more descriptive to say "heavenly woman"--a lower-level deity or supernatural being who happens to be female.
天使  Tenshi Angel Although most Japanese are not Christian, angels appear in stories with great frequency. One characteristic is that the number of an angel's wings indicates its level of power, with six being the strongest.

You Compounds

半妖 Hanyou Half-demon It is implied that a half-demon's other parent was human, though this isn't always the case.
破妖  Hayou Demon-destroying
人妖  Ninyou See Nin
妖怪  Youkai Demon There is very little difference between a youkai and a mamono. If anything, it is that youkai are not assumed to be inherently evil, they are simply a different race of creatures that tend to see humans as edible.
妖気  Youki Magic energy This is the type of intrinsic power that youkai wield. It is not necessarily magic--it does not require any spellcasting--and it is a different "wavelength" from human spiritual energy.
妖狐  Youko Demonic fox This is a creature that typically has the appearance of a human with fox ears and a fox tail. It is a shapeshifter that can become either a fox or a human. When in fox form, the number of tails it possesses indicates its power level, with nine being the highest. It is assumed to be a sensual being that can drain someone else's power through sex.
妖魔 Youma Demon This type of demon does not take on human form. It is typically large and fierce, though it may be "domesticated" and used for transportation.
妖力  Youryoku/Youriki Magic power
妖精  Yousei Fairy