Four Dragon Island
Volume Five
The Dragon Pursues Entei

Summary by Amparo Bertram




[Note: Entei is the name of a god governing summer.]

Max is having a great deal of fun giving bright yellow flowers that are said to invite misfortune to his friends and enemies. He particularly enjoys the challenge of matching wits with the heir to the leadership of the powerful Shanchoan sailing family. Meanwhile, many of Bailong's citizens are preparing to set out for the festival in the Red Dragon's city, Zhulong.

Fei wants to go to Zhulong, but Max refuses to give him permission because he's still recovering from his stab wound and ought to be resting, not further endangering himself. Frustrated, Fei turns his efforts to investigating the dealings among the sailing families. He finds that Shanchoan is stifling all the others because of their monopoly on Zhulong lumber that allows them to build the best, longest-lasting ships.

Shanchoan's heir frames Fei for releasing ten of the captured opium gang members. Max knows he didn't do it, but the mere gossip about it makes the Howaluu unpopular. Fei decides the only option to breathe fresh air into the city is to allow the other sailing families to acquire the Zhulong lumber and shatter the Shanchoan power base, but the White Dragon keeps his hands tied.

Fei concocts a scheme to gain the White Dragon's seal of permission on the forms he needs to go to Zhulong and negotiate for the lumber. With help from a minor sailing family that has nothing left to lose, the hostage bluff works, though in the resulting scuffle Fei takes a strong punch and Max carries him home. Filled with the sound of his Dragon's heartbeat, Fei wishes he could get past the sarcastic exterior to the real emotions underneath.

Leaving his bed covered with the yellow flowers Max had given him, the jade earring in the center to invite pursuit, Fei sneaks away. Because of the escape of the ten prisoners, the border guard is on the lookout for them as well as for the man with a tattoo on his shoulder who supposedly set them free. To avoid detection, Fei travels with a caravan from one of the Howaluu brothels, in disguise as a high-class prostitute. He hopes that Max will follow his Dragonstone.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]