Four Dragon Island
Volume Four
The Dragon Lurks in the Clouds

Summary by Amparo Bertram




It's the fourth anniversary of the previous White Dragon's death. To avoid the crowds of townfolk who will visit the grave in the morning, Fei sneaks in by moonlight to bring incense on behalf of the Howaluu. Max takes advantage of sudden cloud cover to pounce him in the dark. The next day, Max hears about an invitation to an evil-banishing festival thrown by the Red Dragon.

Shortly thereafter, citizens begin spotting a fiery ghost prowling the streets, so Max and Fei go to see it with their own eyes. It claims to be the vengeful spirit of Max's uncle out to torment him. The visitations become worse, setting fires to houses, making the people angry at their lord who merely watches without doing anything. Fei frantically mobilizes his followers to search for the enemy's hideout.

Fei deduces that the "ghost" sightings have been set up by the remaining opium dealers as revenge for being cast out of he city. They teamed up with a sailing family that practically monopolizes the harbor and wants to prevent the White Dragon from forming a trade agreement with the Red Dragon for good lumber to build better ships. The "ghost" sets fire to Max's father's tomb, and the ensuing confrontation stuns Fei when he hears that Max allowed his uncle to be assassinated by intentionally decreasing the security around him.

Max sets up an evil-banishing festival of his own to show the people he's combating the ghosts, providing the Howaluu the chance to locate the enemy hideout. They capture the underlings, but Fei loses his confidence when the opium gang leader accuses him of doing the dirty work for a murderer. His spirit is restored when his followers insist their loyalty is absolute, no matter what crimes he's forced to commit for the good of the city.

Despite the pain of the stab wound he received in the fight, Fei goes to visit Max. He accuses Max of instigating the whole affair for his own amusement by discussing the Red Dragon's invitation with the sailing family's heir, a known adversary, thus goading him into action. However, Fei recalls what his adoptive father told him, that there can be someone who entrances you no matter how much you feel betrayed. He pledges to himself that one day the White Dragon's heart will be his.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]