Four Dragon Island
Volume Three
The Dragon Tempts

Summary by Amparo Bertram




Fei has mostly recovered from being drugged, though he occasionally has bouts of paralysis. An agent of the Blue Dragon is stirring up a rumor that the White Dragon has a brother. This could be a big problem, because Max only inherited his position due to a lack of other options. When Fei confronts him about the rumor, his response is, "If I go back to the mainland, will you come with me? No? Then I suggest you do something to investigate the matter..."

The next morning at dawn, Max pulls Fei into his carriage with the mysterious instructions, "Sleep in my arms, and when you awaken we'll be at our destination." Believing he's being teased, Fei grumbles, "Remind me to hit you as soon as you let go." Max merely answers, "In that case, I'll have to hold you the rest of my life." Max intends to check out the lakeside hot spring resort where the Blue Dragon agent had last stayed in the hope of turning up firm evidence about the rumored heir.

While searching the lake, Max and Fei are attacked and captured. The conspirators who intend to replace the half-blooded Max with a full-blooded brother figure that it shouldn't matter to the Howaluu who the White Dragon is, as long as there is someone to hold the title. However, compelled to face the reality of Max returning to the mainland, with only the earring left as a reminder of the vows that had bound them, Fei is overcome with inexplicable pain.

Before the conspirators, led by a Blue Dragon assassin, escort Max to the ship awaiting him, he bids farewell to the captive Fei. First he takes the earring, saying if the Howaluu wants it he has to come get it. Then, in place of parting words, he gives Fei a deep kiss--using the opportunity to pass him a shard of a broken vase to cut himself free.

Once he manages to get loose, Fei discovers that the "brother" is really a cousin, the four-year-old son of Max's deceased uncle. He chases after his Dragon, refusing to let him go. When he catches up to the ship, the waiting Max holds out the earring, tempting him to come along to the mainland. Instead Fei backs away, forcing the White Dragon to follow and return to him.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]