Four Dragon Island
Volume Number Twenty-eight
Pure Heart of the Flower Princess

Summary by Amparo Bertram




Everything is peaceful in Bailong, save for a few minor cases of arson here and there. Fei helps out Lingchuan, who has taken over running his father's tea shop for him. He has not yet accepted the invitation to stay in the White Dragon's mansion, so both Lingchuan and the Howaluu ask him pointedly where he will sleep every night.

The town prepares for an upcoming fireworks festival. Most of the oil, gunpowder, and other fire-related merchandise comes from the Soong family. The head of the family is ill, and his daughter, as a female, isn't allowed to inherit, so he's trying to find a good man to marry her and take over the business. After meeting her, Fei drops in to check on the White Dragon, who continues to press him to move in. Fei flirtatiously plays hard-to-get.

The fireworks festival is traditionally an occasion for lovers to spend the night together. Max is determined to get Fei to stay with him that night. He announces that he will hold a beauty contest, and the woman who wins the contest will be his new concubine and watch the fireworks with him. Meanwhile, the Soong family is framed for the arson cases, and all the suitors abandon them. The father intends to marry his daughter to his last option, an illegitimate cousin.

The night of the beauty contest, the daughter discovers that the cousin is the one who caused the fires so that he could take over the business. She winds up locked in a warehouse. Fei realizes who the culprit is and causes a distraction at the contest so that his Howaluu can go rescue the girl. The women at the contest can't hold a candle to his performance.

The Soong daughter crashes the contest and asks to be the White Dragon's concubine, to which Max instantly agrees. On the night of the festival, when she's supposed to sleep with him, she uses the chance to beg to be allowed to inherit her father's business. Fei comes to "save" her, thus invading Max's bedroom just as the Dragon had intended. After proclaiming that females can inherit if they are qualified, Max challenges Fei to a game of Go...with the jade earring as the stakes.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]