Four Dragon Island
Volume Twenty-six
The Dragon Loves

Summary by Amparo Bertram




Fei's rebellion is successful, yet his father refuses to surrender and winds up escaping. Knowing that Yuelyan is dying from the disease that makes him cough up blood, Fei can't bring himself to let his father die alone. He says his farewells and chases his father to the Heitanyui lair. Yuelyan has started a ritual fire intended to carry his feelings to those not present. He tells Fei to go and live the life opening up in front of him, but Fei can't abandon the man who raised him.

The roof catches fire and begins collapsing. Yuelyan pushes Fei from under a falling beam, becoming trapped himself. Fei holds his father and intends to die with him, but just then Max arrives with Yuiran. She is the one person who can get through Yuelyan's bitterness and put his heart at rest. She takes Fei's place, and the ceiling collapses on both of them. Although Fei wants to stay in the fire, he knows Max won't leave him, and he can't bear to let Max get hurt. They go together to carry out the next stage of Max's plan.

The Shulingfan head had caused an avalanche of trees to block the road leading to Bailong, preventing the Red Dragon's troops from getting through. Max and Fei break into the Red Dragon's estate and invite her to escape from her "jewelbox." They sweep her off to join them on an expedition to the mainland. She struggles at first, because she's angry at them for insulting her, but they are giving her what she wanted to begin with, so she settles down and cooperates.

The plan is to get the White Dragon, the Red Dragon, the Black Dragon's heir, and the Blue Dragon's sister, along with all four Dragons' seals, together in one place to make the Woo family head leave them alone. The assassin Tienlang attacks while they're on the way to the mainland, but Fei finally finishes him for good. They force their way into the Woo estate, retrieve the hostage Blue Dragon, and get the Woo head to sign a document promising the family will never invade the island again.

Now that the fighting has ended, Max wants Fei to stay with him. However, Fei knows that his father trusted him to make sure Heilong is put back on the right track first. He promises that he'll return to Max in the spring, the season during which they first met. Since Max still appears unconvinced, Fei takes the jade earring and pierces it through the White Dragon's ear as a reassuring token. Max accepts for the time being, but if spring comes even slightly late, he and the Howaluu are prepared to storm the Black Dragon's mansion and steal Fei away.

[Previous] [Next] [Back to Silongtou]