Four Dragon Island
Volume One
The Dragon Naps

Summary by Amparo Bertram




The rightful heir to the position of White Dragon, Maximilian, is being challenged by his corrupt uncle. According to centuries-old tradition, in order to be recognized as lord, the White Dragon must win the support of the leader of the Howaluu, a group of street toughs who maintain order in the red light district. Since the previous Howaluu leader suicided when the former White Dragon died, neither Max nor his uncle knows the identity of his successor. However, Max is able to pick him out of a crowd of Howaluu by his gaze.

Max hates the father who abandoned him. He has no real desire to rule his father's city, believing it would cause him to rot from boredom. Fei, on the other hand, is desperate to protect the city he loves. The uncle is in league with the Blue Dragon, who will take over and ruin everything if the plot to eliminate Max is successful.

Fei asks advice from Max's steward on how to win the new White Dragon into a partnership. The steward insists that it's impossible. Rather than forming a partnership, he advises, Fei's only chance is to find out what Max wants and become that desire. In that way, Max will awaken from his state of apathy and take charge.

An assassin from the Blue Dragon sends Max plummeting into the sea. Fei dives after to save him without hesitation, despite his intense fear of the sea engendered by his experience of having been cast into it to drown as a baby. He considers Max, with the intense silver-gray eyes that grip him like nothing he's ever known, to be *his* Dragon. He'll do anything in his power to keep his Dragon alive.

Max is forced to conclude that, with Fei at his side, he'll never succumb to boredom. In exchange for his promise to govern the city actively, Max makes Fei swear to keep him entertained, to focus unwaveringly on him and lead him to excitement worth his while. Thus Fei earns the title "Dragonstone," the treasure that a dragon will chase to the exclusion of all else.

[Next] [Back to Silongtou]