Ru: Once upon a time, back before the stars were born, there was a war among the gods. They fought over who would control the world.

Woll: I can't imagine a time before the stars were born. So, gods war over rulership too?

Ru: It seems that's the case. Anyway, this was an incredibly long time ago, so I don't know all the details. The new gods defeated the old gods, and they wanted to build their own world. They asked for the help of three of the old gods: the God of Darkness, the God of the Sun, and the God of the Moon.

Woll: (puzzled) Asked?

Ru: Or ordered. The new gods really wanted to kill all the old gods. The reason they couldn't was that they needed these three gods. Without them, life couldn't be created.

Woll: Life?

Ru: Yes. You, the animals, this forest, all life.

Woll: "The Darkness gains the Sun and Moon and becomes able to support life." The queen once said that.

Ru: Out of the three, Darkness was the oldest, so he did all the negotiating with the new gods. Not that it can be called "negotiation" between the victor and the conquered. The winning gods gave orders, and Darkness had to obey. On the condition that the other two be guaranteed safety, Darkness promised full cooperation. He swore to bring forth life on the new world. But--

Woll: But?

Lee: (walks in) What?

Ru: Nothing. I was just telling Their story.

Lee: Oh. That myth? It's just a fairytale.

Ru: Yet, we do have Shera. Don't you think it's too good to be a coincidence?

Lee: I know it seems like it was arranged, but if that ancient legend were to be believed, Shera and I would have to be lovers. I know for certain I don't feel that way. Shera, do you want to be my lover?

Shera: (jumps to his feet in shock, blushing) Hey! Hold on! What's that, all of a sudden?!

Woll: (eyes round) What's this all about?

Lee: The Sun and Moon were lovers, you see. They ran away together. It sounds rather strange, but that's the story. On the condition that they be left alone, Darkness promised to help the new gods. By the way, though the new gods said they'd keep that promise, they lied.

Woll: Lied?

Lee: Right. The two tried to go free together. However, the new gods had no intention of allowing that. It happens all the time, even now. If you can't control them, you may as well get rid of them. The two were beaten to death--isn't that so?

Ru: We don't know now how they were killed, but it drove Darkness mad. He was so furious he appeared insane. He hated the new gods and cursed them, then destroyed himself, swearing he would one day obliterate them. This universe was created from his corpse. Darkness died with a curse, the Sun and Moon not with him--that's why he could only create this imperfect universe.

Shera: Imperfect?

Ru: (smiles) Of course, this is a very beautiful world. It's just that you have to take things for granted to see it that way. Life can only prosper inside this cradle of atmosphere.

Woll: Have those ancient gods been destroyed?

Ru: Without a single survivor. It's such an old story, we don't even know the name for them.

Woll: Then, what is the name of the newer gods that destroyed the older ones?

Ru: The Rah Clan.

Woll: Wasn't that story a legend? Or is it true?

Ru: Can't a legend be something that actually happened?

Woll: No, what I mean is, if it's true, shouldn't there be a more detailed record of it?

Ru: I told you, this was a very long time ago. From a human perspective, the Rah Clan appears to be essentially immortal, but it happened so long ago that it's ancient history even for them.

Woll: The creation of the universe seems to be quite an important story, though... (pauses) Are you one of those gods reincarnated?

Ru: It doesn't feel like it to me at all. But they think so. They believe I'm a bad guy who will bring them harm. Thanks to that, I have been under strict observation since I was born.

Lee: (shrugs) I think it's nonsense. At least, I'm positive I have no memory of that ancient time.

Ru: Me neither. Of course, Shera doesn't have it either. Right?

Shera: Um, please hold on a moment. I understand the story, but what does that have to do with me...?

Ru: Because the anger of Darkness was so severe, the Rah Clan grew afraid. They are even now afraid that the three gods will reincarnate and take revenge upon them. Even though so much time has passed that stars have been born and died, and those who committed the crime are no more...

Shera: Even so, they are still afraid?

Ru: Troublingly so. Several people have been born resembling the three gods since that time. Each time it happened, they were terrified. However, until now, all three have never existed together at the same time. That's why they'll probably be shocked to see Shera.

Shera: That's what I'm trying to get at! Why *me*?!

Lee: The problem is your appearance. Silver hair and purple eyes. That's the distinctive characteristic of the Moon.

Ru: It has happened over and over before now, and it is always the same. The Sun has golden hair and green eyes, the Darkness--

Woll: Black hair and blue eyes? I see. That works. But what about being the reincarnation of a god? You and the queen aside, Shera couldn't be.

Ru: It's not exactly a reincarnation. I'd be hard-pressed to explain it... (searches for the right words) Up till now, no one has ever said "I'm so-and-so's reincarnation." It's just that they're slightly different from others around them; they're not a perfect repeat of the gods' personalities. Plus, of course, they don't have clear memories of things that happened before they were born. If they remember at all, it's only partial, fragmented memories--rather than being a reincarnation, it's more a sense that they inherited a small piece of the gods, I suppose.

Woll: Doesn't that make it even more likely that Shera doesn't fit the description?

Shera: (shivers, remembering Moira's words) I am certain there a lot of other people who have the same colored hair and eyes as I do...

Ru: (grins) True. That's why this is only a myth. If it doesn't ring any bells for you, then that's as far as it goes.

Lee: (chuckles) But the one Shera loves isn't me, it's that guy in black, right?

Shera: Lee! What are you saying?!

Lee: Well, look at your sword. It's his, isn't it?

Shera: Th--this is--it just turned out this way...

Lee: When two warriors exchange swords, it's proof that they're entrusting their lives to each other. Rufa and I do it too.

Shera: I killed him myself!

Lee: Doesn't matter. Don't you think he may have become a ghost, and is even now fluttering around you?

Shera: Please stop it. I can't see him!

Lee: The way you say that makes it sound like you're sorry you can't see him.

Shera: Lee!

Ru: (laughs) That in itself shows we aren't the same as the legend. Eddie chose me as a partner, and Shera is in love with someone else.

Shera: Please do not assume that!

(no one believes Shera's protests)

Woll: When those three gods appear together--whether as reincarnations or as people who inherit something of them--what will happen?

Ru: Here's what the Rah think: the universe will end, and they will also be destroyed. However, here we are, all three of us, and nothing has happened. I don't think there's much to be concerned about.

Shera: I keep telling you, it's not me... (finally gives up)