A Record of the Delfinian War

Book Two: The Golden Battle Goddess


Woll and Lee discover that a band of thieves claiming to be backed up by the infamous Tau Mountain Bandits has been terrorizing the villagers living around the Giltsy Mountains. Woll concocts a plan to locate the thieves' mountain hideout so that he can inform the local lord, but as soon as the thieves realize Lee is a girl, they try to take her. The pair fights back, but Woll is captured and held hostage to force Lee to give up. <Scene 3> Just as the thieves are ordering her to strip, another group of men arrives and captures the surviving outlaws. They turn out to be emissaries from the true Tau Mountain Bandits--or the Tau Free People, as they call themselves. Their leader is Even, a childhood friend of Woll's. <Scene 4> He takes half his men and joins Woll, while the other half take the captives back to the Tau Mountains for punishment.

At the capital, Peilzen talks to the castle's Grand Chamberlain Brooks. He reveals that he doesn't believe Woll is really the son of King Doluwa. He has information that the mother of Doluwa's bastard child was found drowned in a freezing pond holding an infant--a month before the infant Woll was entrusted to his foster father. Peilzen is certain that the woman, Paula, wouldn't have given up her life to save the baby unless it had been the king's son; if she had been carrying a non-royal child and slipped into the water, she would have let go of it to scramble out and save herself. Thus the king's son drowned long ago, and Woll is some random replacement with no royal blood. Brooks initiates an investigation of the matter.

General Dora meets up with the Ramona Knights. Figuring that there's no further reason to hide that they're supporting the king, they all ride out to join Woll. General Dora takes Woll and the others to his estate, Roah, known for its horses. There they prepare for battle. Roah has one special horse, a stallion called Black Master, which has ruled the plains for a hundred years. Whenever one Black Master gets old, another exactly like him is born to take his place. No one has ever been able to ride the stallion...until Lee decides to give it a shot. <Scene 5> She makes friends with Black Master and names him Graia. He agrees to let her ride him into battle.

The party sets out toward Fort Maleba, which houses the Tiredon Knights. They and the Ramona Knights are said to be like a pair of wings, because they always complement each other. The Tiredon Knights are led by Nora Baluro, also known as Grand Duke Savoa, the nephew of King Doluwa on his mother's side. The conspirators want to set him up as the king, but he staunchly supports his cousin Woll's right to the throne, and so he is confined to his mansion in the capital. His knights are forbidden to act. Woll hopes that he can free the Tiredon Knights to join him.

Unfortunately, a local lord's castle blocks the way. The lord's troops are reinforced by thousands of men from the Royal Army, which is under the command of the conspirators. Lee, Woll, and Even sneak into the lord's castle under cover of darkness and set fire to it, then Woll sets the lord's men and Royal Army soldiers against each other by announcing the lord let him into the castle on purpose. The resulting confusion allows Woll's forces to win a complete victory.