Public lectures, conference talks and papers, 2009
Fulbright Scholar, Caracas, 2008
Visiting professor, CENDES-UCV, Caracas, 2009
The New School for Social Research, NYC, 2010
| E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org | U.S. cell: 734-657-0774 | Caracas cell : +58 412 099 33 31
· July 2009; 55 pp. (with figures and illustrations/photos)
A. The Political Economy of Oil in the U.S.-Iran Crisis: U.S. globalized oil interests vs. Iranian regional interests
· June 2009; 45 pp. (36 pp. plus 9 pp. figures)
Invited Public and Academic Lectures, Conferences 2009:
1. Hudson Institute - Washington, D.C., Sept. 22, 2009:
o Petro Caribe and Petro Diplomacy of Hugo Chavez
§ Panel on Central American Democracy with Fmr. Ambassador Roberto Flores Bermudez (Honduras), Prof. Diana Negroponte (Brookings Institute), Eduardo Ulibarri, and Regina Vargo. Moderated by Ambassador(ret.) Jaime Daremblum.
2. Waterpower XVI - Spokane, Washington, July 28, 2009:
o World Primary Energy Resources: What’s Available and Where to 2030.
§ Keynote speaker, Opening session
3. Latin American Studies Center - U. Michigan, Ann Arbor, Sept. 28, 2009
o The International Policy of Chavez: Can Iran, Russia, China and the International Oil Companies “save Venezuela from the global market of ’El Imperio’”?
4. Joint: Latin American Studies Program & Middle East Studies Program, Ohio State University, Columbus. Sept. 30, 2009
o Oil in the U.S.-Iran Crisis and Venezuelan foreign affairs
5. Asociación Venezolano de los Hidrocarburos (AVHI) - Caracas, April 15, 2009
o The Global Political Economy of Petroleum and Bolivarian Venezuela
6. Residence of Ambassador of Norway - Caracas, February 10, 2009
o Domestic Struggles Over Venezuelan Petroleum Sector: Present and Future
§ Breakfast talk, with comments on the talk by:
· Rubén Figuera, Presidente de PDVSA Gas
· Thor …, President of Statoil (Norway)
7. Embajada de Holanda - Caracas, March 12, 2009
o A Retrospective: Domestic Struggles Over Venezuelan National Oil
§ Luncheon talk with Luís X. Grisanti, President, Venezuelan Hydrocarbon Association (AVHI)
8. Centro dpe los Estudios del Desarrollo - Universidad Central de Venezuela (CEDES-UCV) Caracas, January 22, 2009
o La nueva PDVSA, antes y durante la crisis mundial: El petróleo en el desarrollo y las relaciones exteriores de la Venezuela bolivariana
· Lectura público/Public lectura
9. Facutad de Ciencias Jurídicas y Políticas - Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV) Caracas, January 2009
o El petróleo en el desarrollo y las relaciones exteriores de la Venezuela bolivarianadi
· Lectura público/Public lecture; invited by student organization
10. International Studies Association (ISA) Convention - New York City, February 15-18, 2009
o “The New Nationalism” Oil Strategy of Chavez and Mommer: Can China, Iran and International Oil Companies Enable Venezuela to Escape the Markets of ”El Imperio” and Reverse PDVSA Production Declines?
§ Panel on Latin America and the World Economy
o The Political-Economy of the Globalized Oil Order: How Objective Conditions Drove the OECD and OPEC from Confrontation to Collusion and a Market Centered System Resting on U.S. Gulf Hegemony
§ Panel on Oil and Natural Resources
11. India-China Institute - The New School University, New York City, April 20, 2009
o China’s Energy Policy
12. Left Forum 2009 - Pace University, New York City, April 17-19, 2009
o Obama and Iran: A New Beginning?
§ Panel with Ruth Indeck (Chair), Prof. Ervand Abrahamian, Prof. Reza Ghorashi and Ms. Manijeh Saba
13. The New School University GPIA & ISN-ETH Zurich - New York City, March 6, 2009
o Global warming & congestion, plentiful oil & failure of bio-alternatives: What is to be done?
· Invited talk, Economics of Security Study Group
14. School of Natural Resources and Environment - U. Michigan, Ann Arbor. Oct. 2, 2009
o Plentiful Oil, Congestion and the Failure of Bio-Alternatives - What is to be Done?
§ Faculty Lecture in Environmental Ethics
15. Center for Middle East & N. African Studies - U. Michigan, Ann Arbor, Sept. 28, 2009
o Oil in the U.S-Iran Crisis: U.S. oil-security interests vs. Iranian regional interests