Rather than the classical discipline (single-subject) oriented
course plan for UG education,
introduce integrated-design oriented teaching methods.
For example, to teach something about differential equations,
start with some real world problem/case, e.g., time for water to flow out of a
(Requires short teaching modules for foundational knowledge,
so that a set of modules pertinent to solve a real-world problem can be
and brought to bear on the problem, in less overall time than the current
It is also more interesting.
Thus, it is absorbed more deeply
and retained longer.
- Stimulate student interest and curiosity.
- Teach how to formulate the problem.
- Introduce the diff-eq formulation.
- Introduce pertinent solution method (and foundaiton needed to explain it).
- Challenge the student with other real-world problems that are solved with the
Comment received from Sushil Birla, firstname.lastname@example.org