When to Drink in the
Dark Shadows Drinking
- If the person doing the introduction to the show is male.
- If a character mentions "Terror" in any form. (eg "terrifying",
- If Julia Hoffman says three complete sentences without hesitating or
- Any time that an actor whose character has died or left the show
somehow returns as someone else (this can be brutal for a while after time
travel has occurred).
- If a character is suddenly replaced by a new actor playing the same
- If you see the camera.
- If you see the microphone.
- If there is a really blatant shadow of the boom microphone on the
walls, or on a character.
- If some supposedly solid construct (wall, door frame, etc.) wobbles
- If you see the RUBBER SQUEAKY BAT!!!.
- If someone messes up a line in an obvious way.
- If a character drinks you should drink to be sociable (Barnabas
drinking blood counts too!).
- If someone (especially Quentin) verbally threatens another person's
life (i.e. saying "If you tell anyone, I'll kill you.")
- If people are referred to by where they live (A man in a house by the
sea, Those who live in the old house, etc.).
- If there is an obvious mistake in the soundtrack (wrong soundtrack,
wrong sound effect, sudden change in volume).
- If they do the "fake commercial" fade (Example: if they don't go to a
commercial right after the "Dark Shadows" titles).
- When there are continuity errors (changes in clothes between two
episodes with no change in time, important dates changing between
- When they show the hall clock, raise your glasses and announce the
time followed by, "The Witching Hour at Collinwood!" then drink. Only do
this if the clock is NOT showing midnight.
- If there is an amazingly old continuity reference (more than twenty
- When there is bizarre camera movement.
- If there are visible stagehands or unexplained shadows of people who
aren't supposed to be there.
- When they show obvious anachronisms (electric lights and revolvers in
- Whenever someone dies, or optionally whenever a major character does
something to move themselves to the top of the "You're So Dead" list.
- If they show a show in black and white after they were supposed to
have switched to color.