Tamas Gombosi has played an active role at levels of the space science community. He served as Editor of a major publication, chaired international committees, actively participated in national organziations, and is a leader at the University of Michigan. Here are some highlights from his community service.
He was Senior Editor of the Journal of Geophysical Research -- Space Physics (1992-1997). This journal publishes about 600 papers annually, and is the word's leading publication in the area of aeronomy, magnetospheric physics, and solar system astrophysics. Additional editorial experience includes:
- Member, Publishing Policy Committee, American Institute of Physics (AIP), 1998--2000.
- Editor of four scientific monographs.
- Associate Editor, Icarus, 1991--1997.
- Member, Translation Journals Board, American Institute of Physics (AIP), 1993--1997.
- Member, Publications Committee, American Geophysical Union, 1990--1992.
- Associate Editor, Geophysical Research Letters, 1986--1988.
Served on a large number of international scientific committees. An incomplete list includes:
- Member, Basic Sciences Committee, International Academy of Astronautics, 1994--present.
- Chair, COSPAR Commission D (Space Plasmas including Planetary Magnetospheres), 1996-2000.
- Chair (1987--91) and Co-chairman (1979--87), IAGA Division IV (Solar Wind and Interplanetary Magnetic Field).
- Executive Committee Member, COSPAR Commission B1, 1984--88.
- Executive Committee Member, COSPAR Commission D, 1982--86.
- Member, Project Steering Group, International VEGA Project, 1981--86.
National Organizations and Committees
Served on a large number of NASA and NSF selection committees. An incomplete list of other committee service is:
- Member, NSF Advisory Committee for Geosciences, 2008--2010.
- Chair, NASA Living with a Star Targeted Research and Technology Stearing Committee, 2005--2006.
- Co-Chair, NASA Advanced Modeling and Simulation Technology Capability Roadmap team, 2004--2005.
- Member, Committee on Solar and Space Physics, Space Studies Board, US National Research Council, 1996--1999.
- Co-Chair, Magnetosphere and Plasma Science Working Group, Cassini Mission, 1991--present.
- Member, Cassini Mission Project Science Group, 1990--present.
- Member, NASA Planetary Atmospheres Management Operations Group, 1991--93.
- Member, NASA Space Physics Theory Working Group, 1990--93.
University of Michigan Committees
- Program Advisor, Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Space and Planetary Physics, 1996--present.
- Program Advisor, Master of Engineering in Space Systems, 1995--2004.
- Member, AERO-AOSS Merge Committee, 2002--03.
- Chair, AOSS Space Physics Tenure-Track Faculty Search Committee, 1998--99.
- Member, AOSS Departmental Review Committee, 1998.
- Chair, SPRL Review Committee, 1998.
- Member, Aerospace Engineering Department Chair Search Committee, 1995-1996.