- What are the geographic characteristics of zones in walking distance from subway routes in Boston, Massachusetts?
- Is there a relationship between race and class, and proximity to the various facilities in downtown, Boston?
- What are the demographic patterns with relation to points of interest in Boston?
- What differences are there between operations for a spatial analysis?
- Is there a relationship between race and class regarding households and house units in census information?
Data Preparation and Construction
Demographic data for this study, in the form of census block groups and street layers for
the state of Massachusetts, can be acquired from the U.S. Bureau of Censusí TIGER files.
These data may be relatively simple to obtain and come in a format easily downloaded as
shape files in ArcView from the ESRI Web pages (http://www.esri.com/).
Data on subway systems and facility locations (points of interest) will be initially retrieved off of the MBTA
(Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) pages on the Web (http://www.mbta.com/),
and I have created datasets to be extracted into the street layers for the geo-matching process.
SUBWAY ZONES IN BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS / ABSTRACT