Location: Central Campus
Meal Serving Unit: Yes (Barbour)
Extended Hours: No
Breakfast Served: No
Resident Population and Composition:
Barbour/Newberry: Approximately 240 students: 100% Female; 70% First-year.
Resident Staff Size, Composition, Special Features:
Barbour/Newberry: 1 Resident Director, 5 Resident Advisors, 1 Minority Peer Advisor Assistant, 1 Head Librarian, 1 Resident Computer Systems Consultant.
Student Government/House Council/Minority Councils:
A'subuhi Minority Council (Includes West Quadrangle, Barbour, and Newberry)
9 House Councils: 2 all houses (B/N Council and WQBN Council)
Annual budgets range from $2000-$5000, depending upon individual house dues (voted upon by residents).
Betsey Barbour: Private dining room, Kitchenette.
Helen Newberry: Dance/exercise room, library.
Special Corridor/House Arrangements:
Barbour Hall: All female, 1 substance-free corridor, several smoking rooms.
Newberry Hall: All female, 1 substance-free corridor.
Academic advisor available 1 day per week for Barbour/Newberry (in Barbour).
Barbour/Newberry: 3 work stations: Mac Plus; Imagewriter.
Study Space Description:
Most houses have at least 1 common lounge for studying, relaxation, or TV; large study area in West Quadrangle, libraries.
3 public use rooms with reservation & clearance through CORE's office (at least four weeks in advance).
Public Area Space:
Large lounge, concourse with vending machines, laundry facilities, pinball area.
Work available at Front Desk, Dining Services and Facilities.
Professional Staff in Building:
On-site Dining Services, Facilities managers, and Coordinator of Residence Education. Residence Hall staff consists of: Office Coordinator, secretary, desk clerk, 48 resident staff, and 25 student temporary employees.
The construction of the Helen Newberry Residence in 1915 was the result of a generous gift from Mrs. Helen Newberry's three children. The original cost of the building was $75,000. An exclusively all-female residence since its founding, the building was formerly the property of the Student Christian Association. In 1925, U-M purchased the facility for $25,000.
Back to Home