This handsome two and a half-story
residence, constructed in 1875, was the home of William H. Davenport (1826-1909),
prominent Saline citizen. In 1851, Davenport entered into partnership with
H. J. Miller in a general store. He bought out Millerís interest in 1853
and became a leading city merchant. Later, Davenport started a private
bank in 1885. Since 1902 this bank has been known as the Citizenís Bank
of Saline. Well-known Detroit architect William Scott designed Davenportís
elegant Second Empire home, built at a cost of $8,500.00.