- +20 years of systems administration in heterogeneous computing
environments (Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix)
- +25 years of 2D and 3D computer graphics experience
- +12 years in the University of Michigan Virtual Reality Lab
- Several classes in programming, virtual reality, CAD and design
- Senior Systems Administrator Mar 2016 - Present
Jaunt XR (formerly Jaunt VR), Santa Monica, CA
- Administer Windows, Linux (CentOS/Ubuntu), Mac, desktop/laptops/servers
- Administer NAS storage systems, with LTO tape for backups and restores
- Support Cisco, Polycom VoIP phones on a Cisco switch network. Switched to RingCentral VoIP
- Incident tracking using JIRA for tickets and sprint runs using a Scrum methodology
- Thorough documentation using wikis with Atlassian Confluence, for How-Tos and Troubleshooting
- Assist sales, business development, creative and engineering teams with virtual reality demos
- G-Suite account creation, administration, disk quota allocation, security and troubleshooting.
- Deploy and administrate all Mac OSX systems using JAMF Pro (formerly Casper Suite)
- Help with production pipeline of 360 video content and new VR/AR content with Digital Content Creation (DCC) tools
- Support multiple VR / MR / AR headsets from Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Microsoft Hololens + Windows MR, Magic Leap One.
- Senior Systems Administrator Oct 2014 - Mar 2016
Scanline VFX, Los Angeles, CA
- Administer Windows workstations (~500), Linux servers (CentOS, Debian and SUSE. Often virtualized in VMware or Xen cluster) and render farm with Deadline (~1750 nodes). With a variety of needs from Nuke, Maya, 3DStudio Max and a large array of plugins from FumeFX to Krakatoa. Most workstations using a Teradici PCoIP for Linux/Windows workstations for our LA and Vancouver users.
- Administer 2.5 Petabyte Isilon with an Avere cluster, as well as network switches (Cisco, Extreme and Juniper)
- Incident tracking using RT ticket system. Monitoring tools using PRTG with custom dashboards
- Confluence wiki system to create and maintain written procedures for processes and licenses
- Support current infrastructure of 3rd party, as well as proprietary in-house software/hardware solution: our 168 Flowline cache server for water simulation and dynamics with 2.0 petabytes of storage.
- Administer network services: Active Directory (AD), LDAP, BIND DNS, DHCP, NFS, Asterix VoIP
- Used FOG to clone most of our Windows workstations and render farm
- Create a Yosemite Mac OSX 10.10.x image for our laptops and use VMware Fusion or Bootcamp
- System Engineer Mar 2014 - Aug 2014
Method Studios, Santa Monica, CA
- Administer CentOS / Ubuntu workstations (+200), servers and dual boot linux render farm (+500 nodes) with a variety of needs from Maya, Nuke, Houdini. Also support over 17 Redhat (RHEL) based Flame systems for editorial. Using Teradici PCoIP for Linux/Windows workstations and Avocent KVMs for Flame.
- Administer Isilon and Bluearc NAS, as well as network switches (Black Diamond, Force10, Summit, Foundry)
- Create a Mavericks network system image that could NetBoot and NetRestore. Mac OSX 10.9 . Used Clonezilla and later Puppet to reimage Linux machines. Support for Adobe Creative Cloud suite as well as a wide array of After Effects plug-in support.
- Administer network services: NIS, LDAP, Active Directory (AD), BIND DNS, DHCP, NFS
- Incident tracking using Bugzilla and later Atlassian JIRA ticketing system
- Meticulous documentation using Confluence wiki system. Create and maintain written procedures for routine processes and network and license information.
- Maintain and support current infrastructure of 3rd party, as well as proprietary in-house software systems + hardware systems.
- IT consultant Mar 2013 - Feb 2014
Digital Avatar, Los Angeles, CA
- Help start up a brand new video production company Wolverine VFX Inc working on a TV show “Nashville”. Networking, workstation images, Adobe Creative Cloud, After Effects plug-in support.
- Consult other clients for the graphics and visualization needs from nVidia / ATI graphics cards to other desktop/mobile hardware.
- Systems Administrator. I.T. manager Nov 2010 - Dec 2012
Prologue Films Inc. Venice, CA
- Administration of EMC Isilon NAS. Active Directory integration. Implemented VMware ESXi virtual services and VirtualBox
for license servers. Security compliance for movie studios.
- Creating dual boot Mac OSX and Windows 7 images over the network for 80 artists, using DeployStudio, NetRestore/Netboot for both desktop and
render nodes. Support a wide variety of 3D animation, motion graphics, NLE video, rendering and compositing software with many plugins.
- Implement render manager Deadline (newer) and maintain Rush (legacy) up to 160 render nodes and servers (Linux, Windows, Mac OSX). Supporting Flame editing systems and Burn nodes.
- DNS, DHCP, tape backup and recovery. VPN. FTP hosting. KVM switching (KVS).
- Systems Administrator. I.T. manager Nov 2008 - Jan 2010
3DSite Inc (Living Pictures). Los Angeles, CA
- Administration of mail/calendar/ chat IM / ftp / services and maintain Subversion svn, FlexLM and
other license managers for animation and modeling on servers.
- Responsible for DNS services, VPN, network security, setting up multiple Apache web services
- Researching new graphics hardware and all aspects of IT support from the heterogeneous desktop
environments (Windows, Mac, Linux and occasional SGI Irix) to remote connectivity.
- Authored documentation of applications processes
- Prepare graphics hardware and software for real-time animation and A/V gear for shows. Clientele
includes Disney Imagineering and Pixar for attractions at Disney parks in Anaheim, Orlando,
Hong Kong, Paris. Equine Management Services in Dubai.
- Montage of work done at 3DSite (Living Pictures) Inc.
- Examples on YouTube
- Systems Administrator. Head of department I.T. Jan 1998 - Nov 2008
University of Michigan NA&ME department (includes our VR Lab). Ann Arbor, MI
- Maintenance and trouble shooting department 200+ computers with software, hardware, networking and
printing problems. System backups and improving security (working with local law
enforcement and the FBI, regarding intrusions to our systems). Researching new products
for purchasing and negotiating educational pricing from vendors
- Continue to support the Virtual Reality Lab, which has an Onyx Reality Engine2
(2 CPU) connected to a Fakespace BOOM 3C. Consulting the lab for hardware and software
requirements need in many projects. Also advising and training new hires to our lab on
our hardware and software that is either commercial or in house developed proprietary
programs. Maintain the VR Lab web server, creating accounts, networking SGIs with NFS
and general systems administration
- Supporting the Computational Marine Mechanics Lab(CMML), which consists of an
Origin 3400 (12 CPU), an Origin 2000 (4 CPU) and several other Sun, HP and Linux workstations
- Webmaster for the NA&ME department website. Aside from maintaining the information
on the website, I also revamped and improved the usability of the department website
using IBM.s OVID system and other concepts to improve navigation by making it more
intuitive using user feedback.
- Recommendation letter
- Programmer and Modeler May 1996 - Dec 1997
University of Michigan NAME Virtual Reality Lab. Ann Arbor, MI
- Creating models in OpenInventor, VRML, VRML 2 + JAVA, Sense 8
WorldUp, MultiGen SmartScene & ModelGen for interactive and realistic
- Working with state of the art Silicon Graphics ONYX2 IR2
supercomputers to 320 NT workstations with Pyramid CAVE, Fakespace
BOOM 3C, VR4 and Kaiser helmets, pinch gloves
- Computer Consultant Oct 1995-Dec 1997
University of Michigan ITD. Ann Arbor, MI
- Consulting at the multimedia computing New Media Center site
- Trouble shooting software and hardware problems on the Macintoshes and Windows NT
- Helping students encountering difficulties using advanced
AVID MCXpress non-linear digital video equipment and computer
- Webmaster / Marketing 745 Teaching Assistant May 1996 - May 1997
University of Michigan Business School. Ann Arbor , MI
- Webmaster for the Hermes Project Site. Responsibilities include
design and maintaining the site. System administration,
creating new accounts, Perl programming
- Teaching assistant for Marketing 745, 'Marketing in on
- Extra projects involving interactive pages in Java and Shockwave
- Solar Car Team Member Sep 1993-Jun 1994
University of Michigan Solar Car Team. Ann Arbor, MI
- Involved with the electronic hardware and software design team.Head of
PCB design. Responsibilities included entering design to a CAD program
and then designing the PCB board.
- Material Science Engineering BSE '97,
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Operating environments:
Windows NT 3.5/4.0/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10 and 2003/2008/2012 Server, Windows 3.0/3.1x/95/98/ME, Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.14, Mac OS X Server 10.4 to 10.12, Mac OS Classic 6/7/8/9, Linux (CentOS , Red Hat Enterprise Linux RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu, SUSE, Knoppix, BackTrack/Kali, ESXi, Xen), MS- DOS, Irix, Solaris, HP-UX, OS/2, NeXTStep, BeOS, QNX, VAX, AIX, Domain/OS, Acorn Risc OS, BBC Micro, X-Windows.
iOS, Android, webOS, Palm OS, Windows CE (Windows Mobile), Symbian OS, BlackBerry
- Languages, toolkits and IDEs:
OpenInventor, OpenGL, Visual Studio, XCode, Emacs/XEmacs, svn (Subversion) , git
- Communication and office:
Microsoft Word / Excel / PowerPoint / Visio, Google Apps + Drive + Docs, Omnifocus, Evernote, Maple, Matlab, DeltaGraph,
KaliedaGraph, Dropbox, SSH/SCP, Telnet, SFTP/FTP, VNC, Gopher, Apple Remote Desktop, Nagios
- CAD and graphics:
Adobe Photoshop + Illustrator, Autodesk Alias Studio + Maya / Softimage + Eddie / 3D Studio Max /
AutoCAD, Maxon Cinema 4D, VRay, Rhino 3D, EDS Unigraphics, Bryce 3D, Poser, EAI VisModel, Sense 8 WorldUp,
MultiGen SmartScene and ModelGen, CosmoWorlds, CosmoCode, CosmoCreate and proprietary SGI software. Macromedia Director,
DeBabelizer, Alias Sketch, Infini-D, Deluxe Paint IIe.
- Filesystems / NAS / Directory Services / Configuration Management:
NFS, AFS, CIFS/SMB, AFP, OneFS (EMC Isilon), Active Directory, LDAP, NIS, Open Directory, X.500 , Ansible
- Hypervisor/Virtualization and emulators:
AWS, VMware ESXi, Xen cluster, VMware Workstation/Fusion, Parallels, Oracle VirtualBox, Virtual PC, SoftWindows/RealPC, VT100 / VT220
Programming , computer graphics and art & design courses:
- ITS 101: Security Training Course
- Introduction to C++, EECS 183
- C++ Object Oriented Programming, EECS 280
- Introduction to Java, EECS 284
- Introduction to Fortran, ENG 103
- Redesigning websites (School of Information)
- Introduction to web usability (School of Information)
- Organization of websites (School of Information)
- Database design for the web with PhP + MySQL (School of Information)
- Principles in virtual reality, ENG 477
- Independent study in VRML for manufacturing, NAME 490
- Independent study of quasicrystals in virtual reality, MSE 490
- Introduction to CAD with Unigraphics, ME 101
- Industrial design, ART 391
- Introduction to Photography, PHO 111 with 35mm SLR (@ WCC)
- Introduction to Studio, PHO 117 with 6x6cm Hasselblad(@ WCC)
- Studio Portraits, PHO 116 with 6x6cm Hasselblad(@ WCC)
- Digital photography, PHO 127 using Photoshop 6.0 (@ WCC)
- Photography II, PHO 122 with 35mm SLR (@ WCC)
- Black & White Digital Imaging, PHO 129 with DSLR and quadtone printing RIP(@ WCC)
- Advanced Studio Techniques, PHO 220 with 6x6cm Hasselblad(@ WCC)
- Environmental Portraiture, PHO 216 using medium format (@ WCC)
- Color Photography, PHO 124 with DSLR and archival ink printers (@WCC)
- Unix Administration
- Unix / Linux Security
- Computer forensics and security
- Windows 2000 Adminstration and Networking
(training donated by Microsoft Research)
- Windows NT Administration
- Apple Remote Desktop
- Alias/Wavefront Studio modeling
- 3D Studio Max modeling and animation
- JAMF Pro (Casper). Certified Casper Administrator (CCA) , (CCT)
- Working on AWS certified Solutions Architect – Associate. Estimated completion end May’09
Awards and Societies:
- Silcon Graphics Inc "UltraBuzz.wrl " winner of a $10,000 SGI 02
- Member of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society
- Winner of World of Escher computer graphics contest
- Best of Campus Award for September '96 homepages
- 2nd place winner of the University of Michigan campus Apple cyber-art competition
Reference available upon request. Most are available on LinkedIn
- University of Michigan Sailing Club since Sum '93
- University of Michigan Archery Club since Sum '94
- University of Michigan SIGGRAPH chapter since Fall'00
- University of Michigan Ballroom dance club since Fall'00
- Member of Entity, Ann Arbor Computer Artist Coalition
Click here for a PDF
or Word document of my resume.