Roman Vershynin | Curriculum Vitae
Geometric functional analysis, convex geometry and probability theory. Some of my work extends to geometric combinatorics, harmonic analysis, theoretical computer science, numerical analysis, signal processing and statistical learning theory.
- 1997: Teaching Assistant,
Kharkov National University, Ukraine
- 1997-1998: Junior Visiting Professor,
Politecnic Institute of Milan, Italy
- 1998: Research Graduate Student,
Friedrich Schiller University,
- 1999-2000: Teaching Assistant and Associate Instructor,
University of Missouri-Columbia
- 2000-2001: Research Postdoctoral Fellow,
Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- 2001-2003: PIMS Postdoctoral Fellow,
Pacific Institute for Mathematical Sciences and University of Alberta,
- 2002: Visiting Fellow, Australian National University,
- 2003-2006: Assistant Professor,
University of California, Davis
- 2006: Visiting Professor,
University of Marne-la-Vallee, France
- 2006-2008: Associate Professor,
University of California, Davis
- 2008-: Professor,
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Awards and Grants
- 1997-1998: CNR Research Fellowship.
Awarded by the National Research Council of Italy
- 1999-2000: Lee and Cozette McFarlan Doctorate Fellowship.
Awarded by the University of Missouri-Columbia
- 2001-2002: PIMS Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Awarded by the Pacific Institute for Mathematical Sciences.
- 2003-2004: New Faculty Research Grant.
Awarded by University of California, Davis.
- 2004: Oberwolfach Research in Pairs Grant.
Awarded by Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach.
- 2004-2007: NSF Grant DMS 0401032
"Probabilistic and combinatorial approach to geometric functional analysis".
- 2004: Miller Visitor Fellowship.
Awarded by University of Missori-Columbia.
Sloan Research Fellowship.
NSF Focused Research Group Grant
DMS 0652617, 0918623 "FRG: Fourier analytic and probabilistic methods in geometric
functional analysis and convexity".
- 2010-2013: NSF Grant DMS 1001829 "Non-asymptotic problems on random operators
in geometric functional analysis and applications".
- 2012 IEEE SPS Young Author Best Paper Award for the paper
Signal recovery from incomplete and inaccurate measurements
via Regularized Orthogonal Matching Pursuit, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing 4 (2010), 310--316.
This paper was co-authored with my former student Deanna Needell; she was actually the Young Author receiving this award.
- 2013-2016: NSF Grant DMS 1265782 "Geometric functional analysis, random matrices and applications".
- 2014-2017: U.S. Air Force Grant FA9550-14-1-0009 "Probabilistic signal recovery and random matrices".
- 2003: Conference on Geometric Functional Analysis, Kiel, Germany (plenary)
- 2004: Phenomena in Large Dimensions,
Vancouver, Canada (invited)
Workshop on Geometry of Banach spaces,
Oberwolfach, Germany (invited)
- 2004: IV International Conference in honor of Hans Han, Chernivci, Ukraine (plenary)
- 2004: Mathematical
Foundations of Learning Theory, Barcelona, Spain (invited)
- 2004: Convex
Geometric Analysis, BIRS, Canada (invited)
- 2004: Ehrhart-Quasipolynomials:
Algebra, Combinatorics, and Geometry, Oberwolfach, Germany (invited)
- 2005: Southeast Geometry Conference,
Columbia, SC (invited)
- 2005: Sparse Representation
in Redundant Systems, CSCAM,College Park, MD (invited)
- 2005: FOCS 2005:
46th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2006: Convex
Sets and their Applications, BIRS, Canada (invited)
- 2006: CISS 2006:
40th Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, Princeton (invited)
- 2006: Banach spaces
and their applications in analysis, Oxford, OH (plenary)
- 2006: Asymptotic Geometric Analysis
and Applications, Paris, France (plenary)
- 2006: RANDOM 2006:
10th International Workshop on Randomization and Computation, Barcelona, Spain
- 2006: Theory
of Computation Colloquium, Georgia Institute of Techlology, Atlanta
- 2006: FOCS 2006:
47th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Berkeley, CA
- 2007: Short Course on
Sparse Representations and High Dimensional Geometry, IPAM, Los Angeles, CA (invited)
- 2007: Trends in
Harmonic Analysis, Strobl, Austria (plenary)
- 2007: Phenomena in High Dimensions,
Samos, Greece (plenary)
- 2007: AMS Von Neumann Symposium,
Snowbird, UT (invited)
- 2007: Fourier
analytic methods in convex geometry, AIM, Palo Alto, CA (invited)
- 2007: Algorithmic
convex geometry, AIM, Palo Alto, CA (invited)
- 2007: Colloquium, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- 2007: Colloquium, Georgia Institute of Techlology, Atlanta
- 2008: Special Mathematics Seminar, MIT
- 2008: Colloquium, Vanderbilt University
- 2009: Spring
Meeting of the Western Section of AMS, San Francisco (plenary)
- 2009: Probability
in Asymptotic Geometry, Texas A&M University (lecture series)
- 2009: Southeastern Analysis Meeting, Georgia Institute of Technology (plenary)
- 2010: Colloquium, Case Western Reserve University
- 2010: Bonn Mathematics Colloquium;
and Computation, Hausdorff Center, University of Bonn, Germany (plenary)
- 2010: International Congress of Mathematicians,
Hyderabad, India (invited)
- 2010: PACM Colloquium,
PACM, Princeton University
- 2011: Canadian Mathematical Society Summer Meeting,
Edmonton, Canada (plenary)
- 2011: Summer School on random
matrices, stochastic geometry, and compressed sensing, Institut Henri Poincare, France (lecture series)
- 2011: Colloquium, University of Michigan
- 2012: Phenomena in high dimensions in geometric analysis,
random matrices and computational geometry, Roscoff, France (invited)
- 2012: Journees MAS, Clermont-Ferrand, France (plenary)
- 2013: Colloquium, University of Pittsburgh
- 2013: Asymptotic Geometric Analysis II, Euler International
Mathematical Institute, Saint-Petersburg, Russia (invited)
- 2013: SampTA 2013 (Sampling Theory and Applications), Bremen, Germany (plenary)
- Journals and Publishers:
- Acta Applicanda Mathematicae,
Annals of Applied Probability,
Annals of Probability,
Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis,
Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics,
Computational Advances in Multi-Sensor Adaptive Processing,
Discrete and Computational Geometry,
Duke Mathematical Journal,
Electronic Communications in Probability,
Electronic Journal of Probability,
Foundations of Computational Mathematics,
FOCS (Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science),
Geometric and Functional Analysis,
IEEE Signal Processing Letters,
IEEE Transactions on Information Theory,
Information and Inference (a journal of the IMA),
Inverse Problems and Imaging,
Israel Journal of Mathematics,
Journal fur die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik (Crelle's Journal),
Journal of the American Mathematical Society,
Journal of Approximation Theory,
Journal of Functional Analysis,
Journal of Inequalities and Applications,
Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications,
Lecture Notes in Mathematics (GAFA Seminar Notes),
Lecture Notes/Monograph Series of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics,
Mathematics of Operations Research,
Michigan Mathematical Journal,
NIPS (Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems),
Panoramas et Synthèses" of the French Mathematics Society,
PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA),
Probability Theory and Related Fields,
Proceedings of the AMS,
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS),
Random Structures and Algorithms,
SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics,
SIAM Journal of Computing,
SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications,
SODA (Symposium on Discrete Algorithms),
- Granting agencies:
- NSF (National Science Foundation),
ERC (European Research Counsil),
ISF (Israel Science Foundation),
GIF (German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development),
Graduate students and mentees
- 2005-2009: Deanna Needell.
Thesis: Iterative sparse recovery of signals.
- 2006-2009: Yuting Yang. Graduate research student.
- 2009-2011: Nikita Nikishin. Middle/junior high school student
- 2012-: Can Le (Ph.D., Statistics). Joint advising with Liza Levina
Major University Service
Leading VIGRE Research
Focus Group "Probabilistic Aspects of Combinatorics and Convexity"
Colloquium Chair; Chair of the Postdoctoral Search Committee
Executive Committee; Area Leader (Analysis)
- 2013-14: Director of Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics Program