I am a professor at the University of Michigan and the founding director of the Master of Applied Data Science program, one of the first online degree programs at the University of Michigan. Prior to joining Michigan, I received my PhD degree from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and my Bachelor's degree from Peking University.
My research spans data mining, information retrieval, machine learning, and natural language processing. I develop novel techniques for analyzing large-scale text, social and information networks, and behavioral data. These techniques are applied to solving problems in Web search, Web mining, social computing, health informatics, and other domains with the aim to generate a positive impact on everyone’s daily life.
Honors and Awards
- Best Long Paper Award, WWW 2019.
- ACM Distinguished Member, 2017.
- Best Paper Award, WSDM 2016.
- Best Paper Nomination, WWW 2016.
- Best Paper Award, ICML 2014.
- Distinguished Paper Award, AMIA 2014.
- Best Paper Selection, IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2012.
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2011. Project Site
- Certificate of Recognition, 2010 SIGKDD Doctoral Dissertation Award
- 2007-2008 Yahoo! PhD Student Fellowship
- Best Student Paper Award, Runner-Up, KDD 2007
- C. L. and Jane Liu Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
- Best Student Paper Award, Runner-Up, KDD 2006
- General Co-Chair: SIGIR 2018 (Welcome to Ann Arbor!)
- Action Editor: Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR)
- Associate Editor: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)
- Associate Editor: ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB)
- Track Co-Chair: WWW 2015 (Web Mining)
- Area Co-Chair: EMNLP 2014 (Web and Social Media)
- Area Chair: ICJNLP 2013 (Information Retrieval)
- Social Network Co-Chair: KDD 2012
- Track Co-Chair: WWW 2011 (Behavioral Analysis and Personalization)
- Senior Program Committee: ICWSM 2014, WWW 2017-2019, SIGIR 2017, 2019
- Program Committee Member and Reviewer of most major conferences and journals in the field.
- SI601 Data Manipulation (Winter 2010)
- SI650/EECS549 Information Retrieval (Winter 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, Fall 2017, 2018, 2019)
- SI699 Big Data Analytics (Winter 2017, 2018, 2019)
- SI301 Models of Social Information Processing (Winter 2015)
- SI544 Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis (Fall 2011)
- SI608 Networks: Theory and Application (Fall 2009, 2010, Winter 2014)
- SI721/671 Data Mining: Methods and Applications (Fall 2012, 2013, 2014)
Last Updated: September 2019