I am an associate professor at the University of Michigan School of Information. I received my PhD degree from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
I received my Bachelor's degree from Peking University.
My major research interests include data mining and information retrieval. I am particularly interested in analyzing large scale text data, social and information networks, and user behavior data. My research is broadly applied to Web search and mining, social computing, scientific literature mining, and health informatics. I am also broadly interested in natural language processing, machine learning, and social network analysis.
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, WSDM 2016.
- Best Paper Nomination, WWW 2016.
- Best Paper Award, ICML 2014.
- Distinguished Paper Award, AMIA 2014.
- Best Paper Selection, IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2012.
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2011. Project Site
- Certificate of Recognition, 2010 SIGKDD Doctoral Dissertation Award
- 2007-2008 Yahoo! PhD Student Fellowship
- Best Student Paper Award, Runner-Up, KDD 2007
- C. L. and Jane Liu Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
- Best Student Paper Award, Runner-Up, KDD 2006
- General Co-Chair: SIGIR 2018 (Welcome to Ann Arbor!)
- Action Editor: Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR)
- Associate Editor: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS)
- Associate Editor: ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB)
- Track Co-Chair: WWW 2015 (Web Mining)
- Area Co-Chair: EMNLP 2014 (Web and Social Media)
- Area Chair: ICJNLP 2013 (Information Retrieval)
- Social Network Co-Chair: KDD 2012
- Track Co-Chair: WWW 2011 (Behavioral Analysis and Personalization)
- Senior Program Committee: ICWSM 2014, WWW 2017, SIGIR 2017
- Program Committee Member and Reviewer of most major conferences and journals in the field.
- SI601 Data Manipulation (Winter 2010)
- SI650/EECS549 Information Retrieval (Winter 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- SI544 Introduction to Statistics and Data Analysis (Fall 2011)
- SI608 Networks: Theory and Application (Fall 2009, 2010, Winter 2014)
- SI721/671 Data Mining: Methods and Applications (Fall 2012, 2013, 2014)
Last Updated: Jan. 2015