Around Ann Arbor:
Favorite Family Fieldtrips
Ann Arbor abounds with concerts, programs, art, sports opportunities,
and more for children. The following are family-friendly places highly
recommended by library patrons.
- Ann Arbor Art Association
- 117 W. Liberty AA 48104. Phone: 994-8004
Offers art opportunities for preschool and up. Fee.
- Ann Arbor City Parks.
- Phone: 769-9140 or 994-2780
- Allmendinger Park
- At Pauline and Hutchins in S.W. Ann Arbor, a nice neighborhood
- Gallup Park
- Along the Huron River, with room for bicycling, skating,
boating, and duck feeding
- Ann Arbor District Library.
- Ann Arbor's public library, in our opinion the best place in town!
Offers storytimes, special programs, books, music, videos, and more.
Programs are free.
- Main Youth Department
- 343 S. Fifth Ave. AA 48104. Phone: 327-8301.
- Nellie S. Loving Branch
- 3042 Creek Drive AA. Phone: 994-2353.
- Northeast Branch
- 2713 Plymouth Rd. AA. Phone: 996-3180.
- West Branch
- Westgate Shopping Center. Phone: 994-1674.
- Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum.
- 219 E. Huron AA 48104. Phone: 995-5437.
Wonderful introductions to scientific principles;
lots of special activities. Fee.
- Ann Arbor Public Schools Community Education & Rec Dept.
- 2765 Boardwalk, AA 48104. Phone: 994-2300.
Sports, arts, and more. Fee.
- Ann Arbor "Y".
- 350 S. Fifth Ave., AA 48104. Phone: 663-0536.
Activities for the entire family. Fee.
- Briarwood Mall.
- Corner of State Road and Eisenhower
Room to roam and run with a large fountain and
seasonal displays. Stroller-friendly.
- Cobblestone Farm and Museum.
- 2781 Packard Rd. AA 48108. Phone: 971-8789.
Year-round exhibits; special events. Fee.
- Farmers Market.
- Kerrytown, 315 Detroit Street, AA. Phone:761-1078
Open every Wednesday, May to December and Saturdays
throughout the year. Admire it first, then treat yourself
to fruit, vegetables, flowers, food.
- Leslie Science Center.
- 1831 Traver Rd., AA 48105. Phone: 662-7802.
Year-round exhibits; special programs; terrific
birthday parties. Fee.
- Matthaei Botanical Gardens
- 1800 North Dixboro Road, AA 48105. Phone: 998-7060 or 998-7061.
Open daily. The greenhouses are great in
winter; the trails are nice year-round. Fee for greenhouses (preschoolers
and members free). Also free Monday and Saturday 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- The Scrap Box "Where Discards Become Discoveries"
- 581 State Circle, AA 48108. A MAP is available. Info: 994-4420; Phone: 994-4412.
Lots of scrap materials for sale cheap, just waiting to become wonderful art projects. Every visit is a treasure-hunting adventure. Hours: Tu 10am-6pm; We-Fr 2pm-6pm; Sa 10am-2pm; Su-Mo closed.
- U of M Exhibit Museum of Natural History.
- 1109 Geddes Ave., AA 48104. Phone: 764-0478.
"The dinosaur museum"--need we say more? Free.
- U of M Museum of Art.
- 525 S. State St., AA 48104. Phone: 764-0395.
Year-round exhibits; special programs. Free.
- Low-stress Toystores.
- You can visit these and stay sane.
- Generations for Children.
- 337 South Main, AA 48104. Phone: 662-6615.
- White Rabbit Toys.
- 2611 Plymouth Rd., AA 48105. Phone: 665-1555.
2222 South Main St., AA (in mall with Busch's). 669-8999.
- Bookstores with child appeal.
- Children are welcome and have their own space.
- Barnes & Noble.
- 3245 Washtenaw, AA 48104. Phone: 677-6475.
- Borders Books and Music.
- 612 E. Liberty, AA 48104. Phone: 668-7652.
- Little Professor Book Company.
- 2513 Jackson Rd., AA 48103. Phone: 662-4110.
- Webster's Books.
- 2607 Plymouth Rd., AA 48105. Phone: 662-6150.
What?! Your family's favorite haunt is not included? Tell
us about it at the
Ann Arbor District Library,
343 S. Fifth Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
or by e-mail to
Revised 10 Oct 1998
File last modified Sunday, 18-Oct-1998 22:14:31 EDT