Providing Information for the Clinical Decision Maker: The Role of the Health Science Information Center
P. F. Anderson.
[Winner of the 1989 MLA Rittenhouse Award.]
Models of decision making in the primary care environment are discussed and information
needs and sources are derived which are associated with various steps in the decisionmaking
oricess and environment. A proactive role is recommended for health information specialists
in providing information for problem-solving to the physician in primary care, as well as
to the medical environment in general.
To article. (Not yet available.)
- General and Clinical Decision Making Models
- Components of the Process
- The Consultation in CDM
- Types of Models
- Decision Analysis
- The Clinical Decision Making Environment
- Constraints on Problem Identification
- How the Primary Care CDM Environment is Unique
- Problems Associated with Clinical Decision Making
- Information Problem Solving Behaviors of Clinicians
- Information Behaviors
- Preferred Information Sources of Patient Care Providers
- The Medical Literature in CDM
- Attitudes of Clinicians Toward Automated Information
- Communication Patterns in the Clinical Environment -- Physicians, Patients and Nurses
- Communication Patterns in the Clinical Environment -- Physicians and Their Colleagues
- Information Needs of the CDM Process
- Qualities of Information Needs
- Varieties of Information Needs
- New Technologies, Trends, and Information Provision
- Current Status of Technological Applications
- Technological Trends and Information Provision
- Automation and Clinical Decision Making
- Information Professionals as a Decision Support System
- What Information Should Information Centers Supply?
- How Should Information Centers Supply Information?
- What Skills Do Health Information Professionals Need?
- A Proactive Stance for Health Information Professionals
Date last modified: September 15, 1997.
Return to Bibliography.
Return to Pat's Pro Page.
URL of current page: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/pro/articles/cdm1.html