- The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
- Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
- There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
- Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
- Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
- His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
- The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
- The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
- The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
- More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
- Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
- Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
- Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
- Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
URL 1: http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Ssky.htm; URL 2: http://www.kjvbible.org/kjvbible/B19C019.htm
Surat 91 (Ash Shams)
- And by the sun and its brightness;
- And by the moon as it follows it (the sun);
- And by the day as it shows up (the sun's) brightness;
- And by the night as it conceals it (the sun);
- And by the heaven and Him Who built it;
- And by the earth and Him Who spread it,
- And by Nafs (Adam or a person or a soul, etc.), and Him Who perfected him in proportion;
- Then He showed him what is wrong for him and what is right for him;
- Indeed he succeeds who purifies his ownself (i.e. obeys and performs all that Allāh ordered, by following the true Faith of Islāmic Monotheism and by doing righteous good deeds).
- And indeed he fails who corrupts his ownself (i.e. disobeys what Allāh has ordered by rejecting the true Faith of Islāmic Monotheism or by following polytheism, etc. or by doing every kind of evil wicked deeds).
- Thamūd (people) denied (their Prophet) through their transgression (by rejecting the true Faith of Islāmic Monotheism, and by following polytheism, and by committing every kind of sin).
- When the most wicked man among them went forth (to kill the she-camel).
- But the Messenger of Allāh [Sālih (Saleh) >>] said to them: "Be cautious! Fear the evil end. That is the she-camel of Allāh! (Do not harm it) and bar it not from having its drink!"
- Then they denied him and they killed it. So their Lord destroyed them because of their sin, and made them equal in destruction (i.e. all grades of people, rich and poor, strong and weak, etc.)!
- And He (Allāh) feared not the consequences thereof.
Surat 91 (Ash Shams). Quran. URL: http://www.unn.ac.uk/societies/islamic/quran/noble/nobae091.htm
St. Patrick's Breastplate
I arise today
Through the strength of Heaven;
Light of sun,
Radiance of moon,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of wind,
Depth of Sea,
Stability of earth,
Firmness of Rock.
I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me.
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptations of vices,
From every one who shall wish me ill,
Afar and anear,
Alone and in a multitude.
Christ to shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that there may come to me abundance of reward.
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me;
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me;
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left;
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise;
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every one who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
I arise today
Through a mighty strength,
The invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the oneness
Of the Creator of Creation.
Saint Patrick's Breastplate. Traditional. This version:
Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
URL of current page:http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/poemquot/ps19.html
Return to index:PQR: Poems, Quotes, Readings
Last Update: October 6, 2002