Authors | Topics | Forthcoming
Scope of Project and Selection Criteria
From the Dental Archives is to be a collection of articles
from the dental periodical literature prior to 1925 which are either of
historical significance or current interest. Articles are
selected for inclusion according to a number of criteria:
- Is the article still being cited according to a Science Citation Index search
Articles with more citations are given priority.
- Was the article recommended by a faculty member
- Has the article been requested for photocopy by a faculty member or graduate student
- Is the article on a topic which is of contemporary interest,
even if not cited. These may include such examples as 1890's articles on homeopathy in dentistry,
or an original article by Frank Gilbreath (of "Cheaper By The Dozen" fame) about motion studies in dentistry,
or other unknown treasures.
- Does the article fit the scope of topics targeted for comprehensive inclusion:
- history of dentistry, especially dental instrumentation
- origins of dental hygiene
- military dentistry in World War I
- the evolution of dental ethics
- dental anthropology
- minorities in dental history
- other special interest topics to be identified.
- Selected examples of early dental humor and poetry.
Back to From the Dental Archives homepage
URL of this page: http://www.umich.edu/~pfa/denthist/selcrit.html
Feedback to Pat Anderson:
Date last edited: May 13, 1999.