The Marine Science Institute ("Window on the Sea") is affiliated with The University of Texas at Austin and is located on a coastal barrier island in the city of Port Aransas. Founded in 1941, the Marine Science Institute now consists of a series of interconnected laboratories, classrooms, a library, museum, and exhibit halls on 72 acres of beachfront land at the north end of Mustang Island and next to the man-made jetty lining the Aransas Pass ship channel.