the all-seeingeye Pangur Ban: 28' Sharpie
Construction Diary

2003:

July 4 - 13

July 16 - 20

July 21 - 27

July 28 - Aug. 3

August 4 - 22

August 23 - 31

September

October

November
December

2004:

March

April

May

June

July

August

Rollover

September

October November

December

2005:

February

March

April

May

June-August

September

October

2006:

March

July-August

September

October

2007:

April-May

June

July

August

September

October

2008:

January

February

May

July

September

References Technical Notes Egrets and the Commodore

September 2007

Electrical connector in the main mast.

Cabin.

Bronze centerboard case spacers.

Centerboard winch test fitting

Modified winch handle.

Centerboard case cap and winch. The straps are tie-downs for an eventual cockpit cover.

Cabin interior.

September 4

A productive weekend all around. Got the interior paint job done, except for the centerboard case. Got the carpet measured and cut for the cabin as well. And finally got the centerboard itself installed.

Nancy and I also toured the Lake Erie coastline south of Monroe to the Ohio line. We got to poke our noses into a number of marinas, and stopped at the Erie Marsh Preserve.

September 16

The centerboard case is painted and ready for its cap. The cap is fabricated, and waiting for its final coat of paint. I acquired an inexpensive winch for the centerboard. I'll have to modify the handle so it can be removed easily, as it sticks out way too far otherwise.

The centerboard case has always been prone to pinching just a little bit at the top. To combat this I made two bronze spacer bars that will fit across the top under the cap.

September 20

I dismantled the winch to modify the small wheel shaft. Took a facing cut across then end, then bored and tapped it for a knob I had in the spare parts box.

The angled block under the winch tilts it just enough to bring the take up spool into line with the opening in the centerboard case cap. Otherwise, the cable would rub against the winch base.

September 24

Yesterday I realized Pangur Ban had passed a major milestone-one I hadn't known existed. Somewhere in the last couple of weeks, I stopped building a boat and started installing things on a boat.

All the electrical is in place and all the wiring strapped down. The centerboard winch and cap are installed. The brackets for stowing the drop boards are being varnished, as is the fold-down desk that will hang from the centerboard case. I've also begun turning my own parrel beads from a length of Delrin rod.

September 27

A cool drizzling rain didn't keep me from working on the cabin interior. It was really quite pleasant to work inside now that the lights are working. With "shore power" available I can run a heater if need be. The brackets for stowing the weather boards are installed, as is a box to hold a hand-held searchlight. The fold-down desk is mounted, and turned out better than I had expected.

I sat for a while at the desk, thinking ahead to next spring, the launching, and what might come after. I'd like to spend a lot of my free time next year poking about the western half of Lake Erie. If it seems worthwhile, I'll keep some sort of ongoing log posted here.