the all-seeingeye Pangur Ban: 28' Sharpie
Construction Diary

2003:

July 4 - 13

July 16 - 20

July 21 - 27

July 28 - Aug. 3

August 4 - 22

August 23 - 31

September

October

November
December

2004:

March

April

May

June

July

August

Rollover

September

October November

December

2005:

February

March

April

May

June-August

September

October

2006:

March

July-August

September

October

2007:

April-May

June

July

August

September

October

2008:

January

February

May

July

September

References Technical Notes Egrets and the Commodore

April 2007

Spring is here again, and with it temperatures high enough for epoxy to set. The winter renovation project is finished, so I'lll have time and funds again for boats.

May 2007

Progress at last. I've started laying up the masts.

May 22. The last of some 20 pieces that make up the first mast will be laid down tonight. This weekend will be spent roughing it to shape and beginning the rounding process. Then the second mast gets started.

Shaping the mizzen mast

The mast lamination on the floor blocks.

Beginning to taper the mast blank.

Crosscut with a Sawzall and hewn with an adze and chisels.

Marking for a tapered octagonal section.

Tapered octagonal shape completed.

Planed round and sanded, with the butt tenon cut.

The butt tenon.

Masthead fittings for blocks. Compare to the drawing from 2004.

Reducing the laminated mast blank from a 25 foot 4 by 4 to a gracefully tapered mast and a pile of woodshavings took just about 15 hours. Most of it was done with handtools, so I got an excellent workout. A schematic drawing of the steps involved is available.