the all-seeingeye Pangur Ban: 28' Sharpie
Construction Diary

2003:

July 4 - 13

July 16 - 20

July 21 - 27

July 28 - Aug. 3

August 4 - 22

August 23 - 31

September

October

November
December

2004:

March

April

May

June

July

August

Rollover

September

October November

December

2005:

February

March

April

May

June-August

September

October

2006:

March

July-August

September

October

2007:

April-May

June

July

August

September

October

2008:

January

February

May

July

September

References Technical Notes Egrets and the Commodore

March 2005

Scarfs cut on cabin sides

Glued scarfs

Wrapping the sides around temporary braces

Marking offsets to underside of carlins

Sides on and cabin beams cut to length and dry-fit

The first signs of a thaw

The deck is planked as far back as the garage door. The rest will have to wait a bit till higher temperatures. I've scarfed the plywood for the cabin sides. The centerboard is shaped and awaiting fiberglass.

March 12-13

The cabin sides are on and the cabin beams dry-fit. I clamped some temporary braces to the deck carlins, then wrapped the rough cabin side in place level and about a foot above the deck. I measured the distance from the deepest point the side had to reach and the bottom edge of the plywood. This let me run a line parallel to the underside of the carlins along the inside of the cabin side-including the notch for the bulkhead. Marked for the bevel at the forward end. Took the sides off and trimmed to the lines. Both sides popped back in with minimal fuss. Epoxied and clamped the sides to the carlins

Because I didn't trim the upper sides of the cabin sides to their curve, the tops were perfectly level. This made marking the positions for the cabin beams and trimming them a lot easier. The overlong cabin beams could be laid over the two sides and the faces of the insides of the cabin could be projected straight up onto the faces of the beams. A couple of bandsaw cuts, and the beams were ready to place.

I think the goal for the first half of the year is to finish out the hull, and slide it out into the driveway so I can use the space for spar-building. That will happen after all the bits that need the hull to be level are done. On other fronts-this is the year I'll be replacing the front porch on the house. This will be a not-insignificant undertaking.

March 15

Cabin beams are in place, screwed down and epoxied. Started marking for hatch carlins and mizzen partners. Fiberglassed first side of centerboard.

March 29

The cabin top is on and the rough opening for the cabin hatch is cut.