the all-seeingeye Pangur Ban: 28' Sharpie
Construction Diary

2003:

July 4 - 13

July 16 - 20

July 21 - 27

July 28 - Aug. 3

August 4 - 22

August 23 - 31

September

October

November
December

2004:

March

April

May

June

July

August

Rollover

September

October November

December

2005:

February

March

April

May

June-August

September

October

2006:

March

July-August

September

October

2007:

April-May

June

July

August

September

October

2008:

January

February

May

July

September

References Technical Notes Egrets and the Commodore

September 2004

September 7

Barely visible small stand-off for flotation.

Labor Day weekend was productive, though not as much as I'd like-I got to spend Sunday in the Emergency Room. Looks like I've got kidney stones, and maybe something is out of whack with my liver as well.

On the boat front, the short deck beams are trimmed and beveled on their inboard ends, and hatch and mast partner framing is in place. Flotation is installed between the frames. I've begun cutting the floors and some of the smaller pieces of sole.

Before I installed the flotation between the frames, I added small blocks to keep it from resting against the hull. This allows any condensation to run down to the bilge rather than being trapped in the foam. Also slapped a coat of whatever old oil-base paint I had on any surface that was going to get hidden.

September 14

Floors glued and screwed down.

Lead ballast weight between floors.

The floors are all installed after slathering each end with paint. Attachment points for the bulkheads are in place, as is the sampson post, stern sheet bulkhead, and ceilings inside the stern compartment.

September 15

Hull between the floors painted, sole forward of the cabin installed and forward cabin bulkhead roughed in.

September 20

Worked on the deck structure this weekend. Got the forward storage area lined and ready to install the chain locker. The deck carlins for the cabin are roughed in and will need to be trimmed to match the camber of the deck. The main bulkhead aft of the cabin is in place. Lots of little fiddly bits and backer blocks to add and trim.

Deck structure beginning to take shape.

September 30

Ballast block retainers in place.

Lots of little fiddly bits in place. Ballast block retainers, nailing strips, the last of the flotation blocks are all in. The project is at one of those stages where lots of activity yields no apparent progress.