the all-seeingeye Pangur Ban: 28' Sharpie
Construction Diary

2003:

July 4 - 13

July 16 - 20

July 21 - 27

July 28 - Aug. 3

August 4 - 22

August 23 - 31

September

October

November
December

2004:

March

April

May

June

July

August

Rollover

September

October November

December

2005:

February

March

April

May

June-August

September

October

2006:

March

July-August

September

October

2007:

April-May

June

July

August

September

October

2008:

January

February

May

July

September

References Technical Notes Egrets and the Commodore

July 28, 2003

Worked on the joint between the keelson and the chine stringers. Did some more lamination.

Searching the web for other things I came upon a description of another Egret (PDF). Some interesting modifications to the plan-a couple I'd already thought of, and a few new ideas.

July 29, 2003

As the last of the chines go in, the enclosed volume of the hull begins to take shape over the molds. Hmm . . . maybe 28' is bigger than I thought after all. In a few days a couple weeks of vactation time will allow me to make some serious progress.

July 30, 2003

Managed to rip the first batch of mast hoop stock too thick to bend smoothly. Oh well, it was scrap anyway. Figured out how to step and repeat the ripping process on the table saw-not as efficient as a band saw, but in may case at least, more controllable.

August 1, 2003

First day of a two-week vacation-most of which I've dedicated to this project.

For reasons of strength I wanted the side frames to sit in notches on the outside of the sheer and chine stringers. What I didn't want to do was hand cut them all.

This simple router jig did the trick. The long arm sticking up in the first picture helps align the notches, since almost none of them are at right angles to the stringers.

August 2, 2003

A boat of any size is just a bunch of small problems disguised as a large one. If you visualize later steps in the process, right up to launching, and do it often enough, the things you do today can make that later stuff easier.

August 3, 2003: Can you spot the boat in this picture?

With the frames, stringers, and keelson in place it's beginning to look like a boat. Took the time to measure the spaces between the frames and calculate how much flotation I can get in the sides. At 1.5" thick, it looks like I've got the 12 cubic feet I set as a minimum just in the sides. This means I won't have to fill the bow and stern compartments-leaving more storage. With the space in the bottom left over after some 1000 pounds of lead are in place, reserve bouyancy is not going to be a problem.

Experimented with a design for the blocks following Derek Waters instructions from Duckworks. The results look good so far. I've got a source of elm to make the roughly 24 blocks (including spares).

Even at this early stage in the boat's progress, I've come to the conclusion that building your own boat is likely to make you a better sailor, if for no other reason that the reading and research you must do exposes you to a much wider realm of possibility than otherwise. Even more-the act of building-if you are watching it-teaches you more than you might think about force and stress, alignment and efficiency.

Construction Diary

2003:

July 4 - 13

July 16 - 20

July 21 - 27

July 28 - Aug. 3

August 4 - 22

August 23 - 31

September

October

November
December

2004:

March

April

May

June

July

August

Rollover

September

October November

December

2005:

February

March

April

May

June-August

September

October

2006:

March

July-August

September

October

2007:

April-May

June

July

August

September

October

2008:

January

February

May

July

September

References Technical Notes Egrets and the Commodore