When we bought the house, one of its appeals was that it was livable as is. Of course, that was only by comparison to the two previous places, which needed major work just to reach disaster area status. Within months we had begun a program of upgrades and renovations that is still in progress. To preserve our sanity, we've set a schedule of one major outdoor project each summer, and a major indoor project each winter.
There are always surprises. This little problem showed up while we were scraping flaked paint. The roof above this spot has leaked on and off for a long time, so, all of that will have to come out and be replaced.The project so far:
- Work Room, January, 2008
- Coal Bin, January, 2008
- Mudroom, June-August, 2007
- Second floor bedroom, 2006-2007
- Breezeway header and siding replacement, 2006
- Landscaping, 2006
- Living Room, 2006
- Master Bedroom, 1999
- Sitting Room, 2004
- Library, 2000
- Portico/Sill Replacement, 2005
- Studio, 2000
- Kitchen, 1999
- Dining Room, 2005
- Furnace and water heater replacement, 2003
- Master Bathroom, 1999
- Garage wired for workshop, 1999
- Re-face facade of the house. Replace trim and siding, and build new storm windows.
- Widen front walk to match pilaster-to-pilaster width from portico to sidewalk.
- Use wing-walls to create a courtyard behind garage.
- Japanese themed building for back yard.
All images and text Copyright Dale Austin, 1962-2008