TRIBUTES TO SIMON
Grann's Prayer over Simon's Body, August 6, 2004
Mary's mom, Ann Craig, is secretly a minister. She is the daughter of Methodist missionaries, with her father, Melville Owen Williams, an ordained minister. It was during a summer church service at First Church in Oberlin a few years back that Ann preached a strong sermon as a "guest minister" and Mary began to notice her gift. She currently serves as a chaplain at Allen Medical Center in Oberlin. Here is a rough rendering of the beautiful prayer she offered over Simon's body on the morning of August 6. Present, and in our jammies, were Ann, Norm, Miriam, Mary, Markus, and the Spirit of Simon.
We thank you for Simon.
We thank you for the blessing his life has been to Mary and Markus and Miriam and to us and all the others who love him.
We thank you for creating him out of the love of Mary and Markus.
We thank you for placing him in this family and in these communities.
We thank you for his stalwart friends Miguel and Ellen, and for Merla [Eaton] and the classroom that offered him love and support.
We thank you for the caring community of the church and for the outpouring of love in the form of practical and spiritual support.
We ask you to bless Mary and Markus in the days ahead, and we ask a special blessing for Miriam.
May their sadness be tempered by the knowledge that Simon was truly loved and wonderfully cared for.
More Tributes to Simon
- Mary Craig's This I Believe radio essay, May 12, 2008 on KUER in SaLt Lake City
- Zelkova Serrata Tree at the Botanical Garden in Hohenheim, Germany
- Mahler's "Kindertotenlieder" performed by Mary Craig and Elizabeth Ballantyne
- A Note of Condolence from Emma Smid
- Writing Assignment about Simon by Jennifer Sharpe
- A Lemonade Stand for Simon (TV News Story)
- "You've Crossed Over", a Song for Simon by Laz Slomovits
- The Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan Pays Tribute to Simon on October 13, 2004
- Musical Tributes in Dublin, Ireland by Blánaid Murphy and Her Choirs
- "Simon the Dragon" by Erik Troberg
- A Poem for Simon and his Family by Gari Stein
- Grann's Prayer over Simon's Body, August 6, 2004
- An altar for Simon at the home of Rowan, Annette, and Steve Williams in Oakland, CA
- Miriam's ink and watercolor drawing of Simon, August 7, 2004