TRIBUTES TO SIMON
Blánaid Murphy has informed us that she has arranged two tributes to Simon at St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland. Blán serves as the Director of the Palestrina Choir.
Sunday, October 17, 2004
11:00 am Mass said for Simon.
Music that day:
Missa Aeterna Christi munera - Palestrina
Ave, Maris Stella - Mawby
Sing a new Song to the Lord - McCann
Blán says: "The Mawby and McCann were commissioned by the Palestrina Choir last year to celebrate its centenary.They are both wonderful pieces. I'm also going to get the boys to sing The Lord is my Shepherd set by Colin Mawby. It is a very touching setting beautifully written for boys' voices."
Monday, December 20, 2004
This performance is dedicated to Simon. Funds raised from it go to the Barretstown children's project (this is a place set up by Paul Newman where children with cancer go for a holiday/fun break).
Our connection with Blánaid Murphy goes back to the summer of 1987 in Bayreuth, Germany. Mary and Blán met in a three-week German Song course at the Internationales Jugend Festspieltreffen. Another person Mary met that summer in Bayreuth was a tall, handsome dark-haired 20-year-old named Markus Vodosek. Over the years, we've stayed in touch with Blán. For a while, she lived in Stuttgart when we were also there. I remember a good visit with her family in London. Eventually, Blán moved to her native Ireland and has made quite a career for herself in church music. We've seen her in Karlsruhe and Oberlin on various visits. We expect she'll show up in Salt Lake City one of these days, too. Thank you, Blán, for these musical remembrances of Simon!
More Tributes to Simon
- Mary Craig's This I Believe radio essay, May 12, 2008 on KUER in SaLt Lake City
- Zelkova Serrata Tree at the Botanical Garden in Hohenheim, Germany
- Mahler's "Kindertotenlieder" performed by Mary Craig and Elizabeth Ballantyne
- A Note of Condolence from Emma Smid
- Writing Assignment about Simon by Jennifer Sharpe
- A Lemonade Stand for Simon (TV News Story)
- "You've Crossed Over", a Song for Simon by Laz Slomovits
- The Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan Pays Tribute to Simon on October 13, 2004
- Musical Tributes in Dublin, Ireland by Blánaid Murphy and Her Choirs
- "Simon the Dragon" by Erik Troberg
- A Poem for Simon and his Family by Gari Stein
- Grann's Prayer over Simon's Body, August 6, 2004
- An altar for Simon at the home of Rowan, Annette, and Steve Williams in Oakland, CA
- Miriam's ink and watercolor drawing of Simon, August 7, 2004