- 'Putting the User First, Remotely': A 75-minute speech about small-sample, remote, iterative usability testing processes I gave to area Web industry professionals group on September 22, 2010. (The slides can be downloaded here as a PDF.)
Honors and awards
University of Michigan
- IPOL Student Paper Competition: Won third place for academic policy paper "An Argument for ISO 27001 Compliance as Prima Facie Evidence of Good Faith Action in Data Security" in 2010 spring contest. Presented paper at School of Information. (The presentation can be downloaded here.)
- Scholarship: Received half-tuition S.I. Merit Scholarship for four terms to attend university.
The Ann Arbor News
- Internal Development Task Force: Directed publisher's companywide task force designed to spread skills throughout organization. In 2005, created cross-training program called "Round the Bases" and set up Excel spreadsheet training effort for dozens of employees.
- Annual management award: Named "Supervisor of the Year—Honorable Mention 2002" by Publisher David Sharp.
Society for News Design
- 24th Annual Contest: Was a judge for professional news design organization's international contest in 2003. www.snd.org
- Award of Excellence: Received award for Special Section Without Ads in 19th Annual Contest (1997).
Friends In Deed—Washtenaw County nonprofit
- Web site specialist: Handle content updates and site coding changes using basic text editor. www.friendsindeed.info.
- Newsletter designer: Did layout and pagination for quarterly newsletter.
St. Paul Lutheran Church—Ann Arbor
- Elder: Responsible for smooth setup and operation of one worship service each month.