|Music||Tolkien Guide||Recipes||Chemical Enginering||Organic Chemistry||Trips||
Azanulbizar was the valley outside the Great Gates of Khazad-dûm, lying between two arms of the Misty Mountains. Azanulbizar contained the Kheled-zarâm and the source of the Silverlode. In the Third Age 2799, the Battle of Azanulbizar, the final and greatest battle of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, was fought here. It was called Nanduhirion in Sindarin and the Dimrill Dale in Westron.
The Barrow-downs were downs east of the Old Forest. On the Barrow-downs were the Great Barrows, from which the Downs took their name. Because of the barrows, the Downs were revered by the Dúnedain. During the wars with Angmar, in the Third Age 1409 the Dúnedain of Cardolan took refuge there. After 1636, the barrows were inhabited by evil Barrow-wights from Angmar, and the Barrow-downs became a place of great dread. The Sindarin name was Tyrn Gorthad.
The great volcanic rent in the floor of the Sammath Naur of Orodruin. In the depths of the Crack of Doom burned the Fire of Doom, the flame in which the One Ring was forged and the only flame in which it could be unmade.
Dagorlad was the great, treeless, open plain between the Dead Marshes and Cirith Gorgor. It was the site of the great battle beween Sauron and the Last Alliance in the Second Age 3434, and in the Third Age was the gateway into Gondor for many groups of Easterling invaders and the site of many battles with them, especially in 1899 and 1944. It was called the Battle Plain in Westron.
The Ered Mithrin were the mountains north of Mirkwood, home of the dragons. About the Third Age 2200, most of Durin's Folk gathered in the Ered Mithrin, but they were forced to leave by 2589 due to the rise of dragons and cold drakes; the mountains were also infested with Orcs.
Ered Nimrais was a snow-covered mountain chain of Gondor, running westward from Minas Tirith almost to the Sea. Originally home of a race of Men related to the Dunlendings, in the Third Age the Ered Nimrais was chiefly the site of refuges of the Rohirrim and Men of Gondor such as Dunharrow and Helm's Deep. The Paths of the Dead went through the Ered Nimrais. The important peaks of the Ered Nimrais included Mindolluin, Dwimorberg, Starkhorn, the Thrihyrne, and the peaks of the northern beacon towers of Gondor.
The Gladden Fields were marshy fields at the meeting of the Gladden and Anduin. In the Third Age 2 the Battle of the Gladden Fields was fought here, and the One Ring remained hidden here from that time until the Third Age 2463, when it was found by Déagol. A band of Stoors lived in or near the Gladden Fields from about the Third Age 1410 until after 2460, and this may have been the original home of the Stoors. Many irises grew in the Gladden Fields. In Sindarin they were called Loeg Ningloron.
The High Pass was a pass over the Misty Mountains east of Rivendell. Toward the end of the Third Age the High Pass became one of the most important passes over the Mountains because it was believed safe from Orcs. However, about 2940 the Orcs opened an entrance to their tunnels on the Pass, and Thorin and Company were captured here in 2941. After that time, though, the Pass was kept open by the Beornings; it was an important trade route at the time of the War of the Ring.
The Misty Mountains are the great mountain chain of Middle-earth, running nine hundred miles from the Northern Waste to the Gap of Rohan. Originally raised by Melkor sometime before the awaking of the Elves to hinder the riding of Oromë, during the Great Journey the Misty Mountains delayed the Eldar and caused the Nandor to turn aside. Throughout the Third Age the Mountains were infested with Orcs. Individual peaks of the Misty Mountains included Gundabad, Zirak-zigil, Barazinbar, Bundushathûr, and Methedras, while the High Pass and the Redhorn Pass were two of the important passes over the Mountains. In addition to its habitation by Orcs, the great Dwarf-palace of Khazad-dûm was delved beneath the Misty Mountains. Darn Dum may also originally have been a dwelling-place of the Dwarves. The Eagles lived in the central Misty Mountains in the Third Age, and perhaps in the Second as well. The Misty Mountains were also called Towers of Mist. In Sindarin, they were called the Hithaeglir.
The Old Forest was the forest between Buckland and the Barrow-downs, remnant of the great forest that once covered most of Eriador. The trees of the Old Forest, especially Old Man Willow and others by the Withywindle, were malevolent and mobile. In appearance the trees were much like those of Fangorn Forest, and may have been as old. Tom Bombadil, who lived just outside the eastern end of the Forest, had great power over all the inhabitants of the Old Forest. In the Third Age 1409, some of the Dúnedain of Cardolan took refuge in the Old Forest when their land was overrun by Angmar. At some time later in the Third Age, the trees of the Forest attacked Buckland and tried to get over the Hay, but they were driven off when the Hobbits set a fire in the area later known as the Bonfire Glade.
Orodruin was a volcanic mountain in Mordor on the plain of Gorgoroth. In its fires about the Second Age 1600 Sauron forged the One Ring, and always at his rising Orodruin erupted. Orodruin burst into flame in the Second Age 3429, and erupted intermittently from the Third Age 2954 until the end of the War of the Ring. When Gollum fell into the Fire of Doom with the One Ring in 3019, there was a major eruption. Orodruin was only about 4,500 feet high, but standing alone on a great plain it appeared higher. It had a great base about 3000 feet high, and on top of that there rose a tall cone ending in a wide crater. The Sammath Naur were located in this cone, and entering these chambers one came to the Crack of Doom, a great fissure in the mountain, in the depths of which burned the Fire of Doom. Orodruin was also called Mount Doom, which was a name given to the mountain by the people of Gondor when it erupted at the end of the Second Age. In Westron it was called the Fire-mountain, the Fiery Mountain, or the Mountain of Fire.
The Pelóri was the great mountain chain of Aman, running in a long crescent eastward from Ekkaia and forming the boundary of Valinor on the north, east, and south. First raised by the Valar as a defense against Melkor when they settled in Aman, the Pelóri were made sheer and higher during the hiding of Valinor. They were the tallest mountains in Arda. The only pass through the Pelóri was the Calacirya. The only peaks named are Taniquetil, in the central Pelóri near the Calacirya, and Hyarmentir, in the far south. They were also called the Mountains of Aman, of Valinor, and of Defence, and probably the Mountain Wall.
Ravenhill is near Erebor at the end of the great southern spur of that mountain. The Dwarves of Erebor built a guardhouse on Ravenhill, and gave the hill its name because ravens, wise and famous Dwarf-friends, lived in a nest on top of the guardhouse. During the expedition of Thorin and Company, the Dwarves stayed here one night, during which they met Roäc and learned of the death of Smaug. During the Battle of the Five Armies the Elves of Mirkwood, and also Gandalf and Bilbo, made their stand on Ravenhill.
The Sea was the body of water of indefinite size west of Middle-earth. Its western reaches were accessible to all (assuming the proper weather) until the end of the Second Age, when the Undying Lands, were “removed from the circles of the world.” After this time the physical and metaphysical nature of the Sea was changed; the Undying Lands, which now were not on the surface of the world, were still reached by sailing west over Sea. The Sea was also called the High Sea, the Great Sea, and the Sundering Sea.
The valley of the River Anduin, more usually the upper vales, the lands of Rauro. In this narrower sense, the Vales were the original home of the Hobbits and the Men of the Vales of Anduin. Although a fair and fertile land, by the time of the War of the Ring the Vales of Anduin were nearly deserted because of the dread of Dol Guldur; only the Beornings and the Stoors of the Gladden Fields are mentioned as living there. Another name was the Vale of the Great River.