Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Michigan
1002 W.E. Lay Automotive Laboratory
1231 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2121
Phone: (734) 764-8481
Fax: (734) 764-4256
- Topology Optimization for Advanced Structural Concepts and Engineered Materials
- Innovative Body Structures for Unmanned and Alternative Vehicles
- Improved Mobility and Soldier Safety: A Distributed Design and Simulation Toolkit for the HMMWV
- New Technology Development for Improved Safety of Military and Commercial Vehicles
- Innovative Mechanism-Based Textile Composite Damage Modeling Basing on a Nonlinear Fiber Model and Enhanced Homogenization Method
- Function-Oriented Reactive Structure Design with Smart Materials for Army's Future Ground Vehicles
- Advanced Analytical Models for Innovative Vehicle Composite Structures against Land Explosives
- A Novel Concept of Lightweight Composite Armor for Ballistic Protection of Tactical Vehicles
See Research section for additional information.
- Ma, Z.-D., Kikuchi, N., Pierre, C., and Raju, B., 2006, "A Multi-Domain Topology Optimization Approach for Structural and Material Designs," ASME Journal for Applied Mechanics, Vol. 73, No.4, pp. 565-573 (July 2006).
- Ma, Z.-D., and Lui, Y., 2007, "Nonlinear Analysis and Design Investigation of a Negative Poisson’s Ratio Material," Proc. of ASME 2007 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Nov. 2007, Seattle, IMECE07-43665 (Abstract accepted)
- Ma, Z.-D., Jiang, D., Lui, Y., and Raju, B., 2007, "Modeling and Simulation of an Innovative Composite Concept for Vehicle Protection against Land Explosives," Proc. of ASME 2007 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Nov. 2007, Seattle. (Abstract accepted)
See Publications section for complete list of publications.
- College of Engineering Outstanding Research Scientist Award for 2004-2005, The University of Michigan.
- Best Paper Award, ASME Design Engineering Division, Vehicle Design Committee, 2003, “Function-Oriented Material Design for Next-Generation Ground Vehicles,” ASME Paper IMECE2003-43326, 2003 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Washington, D.C.
See awards section in the Others page for complete list of honors and awards.