University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
- Ph.D., Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, December 2005
- M.S.E., Aerospace Engineering, April 2004
- M.S.E., Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, August 2002
- B.S.E., Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, April 2001
Research interests include investigating free-surface hydrodynamics for analysis
and design of high-performance naval craft and renewable-energy devices.
Theoretical effort is focused on accurate description of the flow about marine
vessels. Numerical research employs finite-volume and boundary element
techniques to solve equations appropriate to govern the performance of ships
maneuvering in waves, and energy devices and structures that operate in the
- Dominic J. Piro and Kevin J. Maki (August 2012) “Hydroelasitic Analysis of Bodies
that Enter and Exit Water”, Journal of Fluids and Structures
- Kevin J. Maki, Ricardo Sbragio, Nickolas Vlahopoulos (2012) “System
Design of a Wind Turbine using a Multi-Level Optimization Approach”,
Renewable Energy, vol. 43, pp. 101-110.
- Kevin J. Maki, Riccardo Broglia, Lawrence J. Doctors, and Andrea Di Mascio
(2012) “Nonlinear Wave Resistance of a Two-dimensional Pressure Patch Moving
on a Free Surface”, Ocean Engineering, vol. 39, pp. 62-71.
- Kevin J. Maki, Donghee Lee, Armin W. Troesch, and Nickolas Vlahopoulos (2010)
“Hydroelastic Impact of a Wedge-Shaped Body”,
doi:10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.12.011, Ocean Engineering.
- Maki, K.J., Doctors, L.J., Scher, R.M., Wilson, W.M., Rhee, S.H., Troesch,
A.W., and Beck, R.F. (2008), “Conceptual Design and Hydrodynamic Analysis of a
High-Speed Sealift Adjustable-Length Trimaran”,Transactions of SNAME.
- Maki, K.J. and Troesch, A.W. and Beck, R.F. (2008), “Experiments of
Two-Dimensional Transom Stern Flow”, Journal of Ship Research, vol. 52, no. 4,
pp. 291-300, December.
Alton Luder III: Time Spectral Method for Periodic Incompressible Flows
William Rosemurgy IV(Cochair with Prof. Robert Beck): Velocity Decomposition for Steady Ship Flows
Dominic Piro: Global and Local Hydroelastic Characterization of High
Grzegorz Filip: Offshore Wind Energy
Marc Woolliscroft: Multi-Fidelity Strategies for Unsteady Free-Surface
- Wei Wu, PhD (Cochair with Prof. Michael Bernitsas): Ocean Renewable Energy
- Deborah Edmund, PhD (Cochair with Prof. Robert Beck): Velocity Decomposition
- William Garland, M.S.
- Jan Land, Diploma Student from TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Robert Oberlies, M.S.E.
- Donghee Lee, post-doc
NA 401 - Small Craft Design
NA 403 - Sailing Craft Design Principles
- NA 599 - Introduction to Numerical Hydrodynamics
- NA 620 - Numerical Marine Hydrodynamics
- "Sailing Yacht Perfomance Analysis" An accredited short course presented at the
SNAME Marine Technology Conference
& Expo, November 14, 2007, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Co-Instructor with Prof.