Publications and Lectures
- Lawler, J. 2009. "The
Data Fetishist's Guide to Assonance
- poster (3' x 4' Illustrator CS3, with illustrations in
format) presented at the annual meeting of the Linguistic Society of
America in San Francisco.
- Lawler, J. 2008a. "Negation and
- in The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the Language
- Lawler, J. 2008b. "James D.
- in Lexicon Grammaticorum, 2nd edition.
- Lawler, J. 2006a-c. Articles on
"Notation: Logical", and
- in The International
Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd edition, Elsevier, 2006.
- Lawler, J. 2006d. "The Data
Fetishist's Guide to Rime Coherence",
- in Poetry and Candy Colored Syntax: Language
Presented to Haj Ross, H. Kalpakidis and W. Salmon (eds), Style 40:1-2.
- Lawler, J., 2005a. "Making the Point with Metaphors: Not Just for Poets", Editorial Eye 28:4, April.
- Lawler, J., 2005b. "Complements and Dummies", Editorial Eye 28:5, May
- Lawler, J., 2005c. "Everybody Has Their Own Opinion About the Singular They", Editorial Eye 28:7, July
- Lawler, J. 2004a. The handout for "Rhyme and/or Reason: A Short Introduction to English Phonosemantics",
- a lecture at Western Washington University in Bellingham.
- Lawler, J. 2004b. The handout
for "Grammar: A Trivial Pursuit",
- a lecture at the Assembly for the
Teaching of English Grammar (ATEG) in Seattle.
- Lawler, J. 2003a. Memorial for
James D. McCawley, Language 79:3, 2003
- Lawler, J. 2003b. "Style Stands
Still", Style 37:2, 2003.
- Lawler, J. 2002. The handout for
- a lecture at University College in London, based
on my "Remainders" paper (see below), but incorporating more data.
- Lawler, J. 2001 Review of Botley,
McEnery, & Wilson (eds), Multilingual Corpora in Teaching and Research (Editions Rodopi 2000),
- in Language Learning & Technology 5:3, 2001.
- Lawler, J. 2000. "Remainders", a lecture at
the Languaging conference;
- A syntactic account of the Raising-like rule involved in the
- She remains to be convinced that
this is the
(with ancillary tools below)
- Lawler, J. 1998a. "The
UnixTM Language Family"
- Chapter 5 in Lawler
and Dry (1998c).
- Lawler, J. and H. Aristar Dry. 1998b. "Introduction",
- in Lawler and Dry (1998c).
- Lawler, J. and H. Aristar Dry (eds). 1998c. Using Computers in Linguistics: A Practical Guide.
- Routledge 1998.
- Lawler, J. and E. Breck. 1998d.
Counting on Your Hands and Feet",
- a lecture at the Languaging
- The role of embodied schemata (i.e,
body-part metaphors) in abstract mathematics.
- Lawler, J, and K. van Hoek. 1997. "Space, Time, and
- a lecture at the Languaging conference
- A Mental Spaces account of Negative Polarity
- Lawler, J. 1990a. Review of Durie,
A Grammar of Acehnese on the Basis of a Dialect of North Aceh
- (Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en
Volkenkunde Nr. 112, Foris 1985), Lingua 82:4, 1990
- Lawler, J. 1990b. "Women, Men, and Bristly Things: The Phonosemantics of the
BR- Assonance in English",
- in P. Beddor (ed), Michigan Working Papers in Linguistics
- Lawler, J. 1989. "Lexical
Semantics in the Commercial Transaction Frame: Value, worth,
price, and cost",
- Studies in Language 13:2, 1989
- Lawler, J. 1988. "On the
Questions of Acehnese 'Passive'", Language 64:1, 1988
- Lawler, J. 1987. "Metaphors We
- an internal UM lecture that I put on the Web with links in 1995,
- which was republished in 1999 in a Freshman Composition text,
Figures of Thought: For College Writers by Dona Hickey (Mayfield: 1999)
(it's always nice to get memorialized as an exemplar of good writing :-)
- --- and some correspondence
with students assigned to read it by Dona Hickey
- Lawler, J. 1986. "'Time Is Money': The
Anatomy of a Metaphor",
- MS submitted to, accepted by, and withdrawn
from Language, 1985-6
- Lawler, J. 1983a. Review of
Furbee-Losee, The Correct Language: Tojolabal (Garland,
- International Journal of American Linguistics 49:4,
- Lawler, J. 1983b. Review of Lakoff & Johnson, Metaphors We Live By
(U Chicago Press, 1980),
- Language 59:1, 1983.
- Lawler, J. 1983c. Review of
Austerlitz (ed), The Scope of American Linguistics (Peter de
- American Anthropologist 81, 1983
- Rhodes, R, and J. Lawler. 1981. "Athematic
Metaphors", in Papers from the 17th Regional Meeting,
Linguistic Society (CLS 17), 1981.
- Lawler, J. 1980a. "Remarks
on [J. Ross on [G. Lakoff on Cognitive Grammar [and Metaphors]]]",
- in M. Kac (ed), Current Syntactic Theories, Indiana University
Linguistic Club, 1980.
- Lawler, J. 1980b. "Semantics"
[review article], in A. Zwicky, R. Kantor, J. Lawler, and D.
- Language Development, Grammar, and Semantics: The
Contribution of Linguistics to Bilingual Education
Education Series #7), Center for Applied Linguistics, 1980.
- Lawler, J. 1979. "Mimicry in
- in Proceedings of the Parassession on The Elements of
Linguistic Theory, Chicago Linguistic Society, 1980.
- Lawler, J. 1977. "A Agrees with B in Achenese: A Problem for Relational
- in P. Cole and J. Sadock (eds), Syntax and Semantics 8:
Grammatical Relations, Academic Press, 1977.
- Lawler, J. 1976. "Quelques
Problèmes de Référence", Langages 48, 1976
- [French translation by Michel Galmiche of original "Some
Problems of Reference", MS]
- Lawler, J. 1975a. "On
Coming to Terms in Achenese: The Function of Verbal Dis-Agreement",
- in Proceedings of the Parasession on Functionalism, Chicago
Linguistic Society, 1975.
- Lawler, J. 1975b. "Elliptical Conditionals
and/or Hyperbolic Imperatives: Some Remarks on the Inherent Inadequacy
- in Papers from the 11th Regional Meeting, Chicago
Linguistic Society (CLS 11), 1975
- Lawler, J. 1974. "Ample Negatives",
Papers from the 10th Regional Meeting, Chicago Linguistic Society (CLS 10),
- Lawler, J. 1973a. Studies in English
Generics, University of Michigan PhD dissertation
- (reprinted in
University of Michigan Papers in Linguistics (UMPIL) I:1), 1973.
- Lawler, J. 1973b. "Tracking
the Generic Toad",
- in Papers from the 9th Regional Meeting,
Chicago Linguistic Society (CLS 9), 1973.
- [Reprinted in The Best
of CLS, Chicago
Linguistic Society, 1988]
- Lawler, J. 1973c. "The Eclectic
Company; or, Explanatory Power to the People" [invited plenary
- in Proceedings of the Georgetown University Round Table
- Lawler, J. 1972a. "A Problem in Participatory Democracy",
- in Studies in Generative
Semantics II (reprinted Indiana University Linguistics Club series)
- Lawler, J. 1972b. "Generic to a
- in Papers from the 8th Regional Meeting, Chicago
Linguistic Society (CLS 8), 1972
- Lawler, J. and L. Selinker. 1971a. "On
and Research in
- Language Learning 21:1.
- Lawler, J. 1971b. "any
- in Papers from the 7th Regional Meeting, Chicago
Linguistic Society (CLS 7), 1971.