John M. Lawler
- (1) Computing, etc.
- Member, Computer Policy Committee, University of Michigan (UM)
College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LS&A), 1984-1990.
- Special Consultant on Software Development to LS&A, 1986-1989.
_Information_ (LS&A Computing Newsletter), 1986-1989.
- Member, UM Regents' Committee on Broadcasting, 1982-84, 1986-87.
- Member, Committee on Information and Communication Technology, Linguistic
Society of America (LSA), 1989-1993; Chair, 1991.
- Organizer, first LSA Software Exhibit, 1992.
- (Unanimous Resolution of Appreciation, Annual LSA Meeting, 1992.)
- President, The Eclectic Company - Systems & Semantic Analyses, 1983-date.
- Vice-President, Arbornet - Community Computer Conferencing, 1984-1991.
- Founder and Archivist,
(official archive site of The
LINGUIST List) 1990-date.
- (2) Teaching
- Director and Advisor, Undergraduate Linguistics Concentration, UM, 1988-date.
- Member, UM Governing Committee on Pilot Living/Learning Program, 1993-date .
- Recipient, LS&A Excellence in Education Teaching Award, 1992, 1993.
- Who's Who in American Education, 1995.
- (3) Other
- Organizer and Chair, Sloan Conference on "Cognitive Dimensions of Non-Western
Languages", UM 1982.
- Manuscript Referee: Newbury House, Basil Blackwell, Harper & Row, University of
Chicago Press, University of Michigan Press, Language, EJC.
- Proposal Referee, National Science Foundation
- Consulting Editor, Studies In Language, 1981-date.
- Participant, Mathematical Social Science Board Workshops (MSSB) on:
- "Tree Automata" (1971)
- "Pragmatics and Syntax" (1973)
- "Formal Alternatives to Generative Grammar" (1975)
- Performing Member, The Brecht Company, Ann Arbor, 1986-date.