English 822.001 - EMOTION
Julie Ellison firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours Wednesday 1-3:30 and by appointment
Books available at Shaman Drum
- Carolyn Steedman, Legend for a Good Woman (Rutgers)
- Lutz and Abu-Lughod, Language and the Politics of Emotion (Cambridge)
- Wayne Koestenbaum, The Queen's Throat (Vintage)
- Patricia Williams, The Alchemy of Race and Rights (Harvard)
- Julia Kristeva, Powers of Horror (Columbia)
Course Pack at Kelly's Kopies above Taco Bell across from SEB
Autobiography as Critique Behar, "Dare We Say I?"; Steedman,
Landscape for a Good Woman
Mourning and Melancholia Freud, from "Mourning and Melancholia"
Schiesari, "The Gendering of Freud's `Mourning and Melancholia'"
"Grief and a Headhunter's Rage"
"Needs Talk" Patricia Williams, The Alchemy of Race
and Rights and selection from Nancy Fraser, Unruly Practices
Sexuality, Sentiment, and Performance Wayne Koestenbaum,
The Queen's Throat
Performance, Continued Berlant, "The Female Complaint";
"Some Binarisms (II): Wilde, Nietzsche and the Sentimental Relations
of the Male Body"
The Affective Imperative Kristeva, Powers of Horror
Emotion and Ideology Raymond Williams, "Structures of Feeling";
Grossberg from We Gotta get Outa This Place: Popular Conservatism
and Postmodern Culture; Jameson, from Postmodernism, or,
The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism
|Antislavery Affections Yacavone, "Abolition
and...Fraternal Love"; Sanchez-Eppler, "Bodily Bonds"
|Language, Guilt, and Terror Bhabha, "Postcolonial
Authority and Postmodern Guilt"; Daniel, "The Individual in Terror"
and "Crushed Glass, or, Is There a Counterpoint to Culture?"
also, for everyone: one-paragraph statement of term paper
topic due in class
| Sentiment, Nationalism, the Romance Sommer,
"Love and Country: An Allegorical Speculation" from Foundational
"Romantic Love, Arranged Marriage, and Indian Melancholy"
|Manners and Conventions Appadurai, in Language
and the Politics of Emotion, Ch. 5, "Topographies of the Self: Praise
and Emotion in
Hindu India; Kasson, "Emotional Control" from Rudeness and Civility;
Wexler, "Tender Violence: Literary Eavesdropping, Domestic Fiction,
and Educational Reform"
|Ethnography's Emotional Turn Michelle Rosaldo,
"Toward an Anthropology of Self and Feeling" In Language and the
Emotion: ch. 2, Abu-Lughod, "Shifting Politics in Beduoin
Love Poetry"; ch. 9, Trawick, "Untouchability and the Fear of Death
in a Tamil Song."
| Literati Tompkins, "Me and My Shadow"; Kaplan,
"The Thorn Birds: Fiction, Fantasy, Femininity"; Cvetkovic from Mixed
|Term paper due in my office by noon
THE CONFIGURATIONS AND DYNAMICS OF EMOTION
The goal of the seminar is to keep all of these issues in play simultaneously.
- If "emotion " has now constituted itself as a "field" or "area," what
is the secret of its success? Why here? Why now?
- aesthetics: the poetic; imagination and fancy; the beautiful and the
sublime as theorized in work on romanticism and postmodernism; tone:
parody, irony, pathos
- conventionality, manners, pedagogy, and other forms of emotional education
- somatics: discourses of expressiveness, inspiration, and emotional
contagion; the weeping, blushing, aggressive, and erotic body and its
- performance and gesture
- gender: emotion as a major theme of women's, gay and lesbian studies
- studies; the feminist literature related to emotion
- method: intuition; dialogue; logic, analysis, invocations of science
and the rational
- nationalism, patriotism, and other civic emotions; the emotional relations
of colonial and post-colonial societies; of commerce; of empire
- periodization: i.e. the Age of Sensibility
- subjectivity and intersubjectivity: the psychological treatment of
emotion (hysteria, mourning, transference, and abjection); the genres
of autobiography and confession; the philosophical, theological, and
literary histories of love
- media: print culture, reading and media audiences, high and low cultures,
electronic communications, virtual reality, interactive media
- the object of feeling; the representation of the victim, especially
as defined by racial or social differences (slaves, criminals, vagrants,
> the sick, the poor); the history of charity and social welfare; humanitarian
- intimations of the sacred: liturgy, confession, epiphany, revelation
- emotion and politics; ideological analyses of emotion
- Abu-Lughod, Veiled Sentiments
- Anderson, Benedict, Imagined Communities
- Appleby, Joyce Liberalism and Republicanism in the Historical Imagination
(Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1992) .
- Aubry, "La Contagion du Meurtre"
- Bain, Alexander The Emotions and the Will (1859)
- Barker-Bendfield, G.J. The Culture of Sensibility: Sex and Society
in Eighteenth-Century Britain
- Barthes, Roland Barthes by Roland Barthes
- Baym, Nina "Melodramas of Beset Manhood"
- Bellah, et al. Habits of the Heart
- Benn Michaels, "Race into Culture: A Genealogy of Cultural Identity"
- Berger, John "Bad News" The Threepenny Review Winter 1993 p.
- Berlant, "The Female Complaint" Social Text (and piece in Samuels,
- "The Female Woman: Fanny Fern and the Form of Sentiment")
- Bhabha, Homi "Postcolonial Authority and Postmodern Guilt" in Cultural
Studies, Grossberg et al., eds. (New York: Routledge, 1991).
- Breitweiser, Mitchell American Puritanism and the Defense of Mourning:
Religion, Grief, and Ethnology in Mary White Rowlandson's Captivity
- Brodhead, Richard "Spare the Rod" Representations
- Bystrom, "The Abyss of Sympathy: The Conventions of Pathos in Eighteenth
and Nineteenth Century British Novels" Criticism 1981
- Castle, Terry The Apparitional Lesbian
- Chambers, "The Suicide Tactic: Writing in the Language of the Other"
from Room for Maneuver: Reading (the) Oppositional (in) Narrative
- ----- The Writing of Melancholy
- Cvetkovic, Anne Mixed Feelings: Feminism, Mass Culture,
and Victorian Sensationalism
- Darwin, Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals
- Davidson, Cathy, discussion of late eighteenth-century sentimental
fiction in Revolution and the Word
- de Certeau, Heterologies: Discourse on the Other
- de Sousa, Ronald, The Rationality of Emotion
- Discourse: articles in Fall-Winter 1990-91 stemming from conference
on "The Emotions" at Univ. of Wisconsin, Milwaukee; also 14(1) Winter
1991-92 some articles on affect and tv
- Douglas, Ann The Feminization of America
- Elias, Norbert The Civilizing Process: The Development of Manners:
Changes in the Code of conduct and Feeling in Early Modern Times
- Ellison, Julie "Feeling Strange" ANQ; "Race and Sensibility
in the Early Republic: Ann Eliza Bleecker and Sarah Wentworth Morton"
American Literature Fall 1993; unpublished paper, "A Short History
of Liberal Guilt"; "The Politics of Fancy in the Age of Sensibility,"
in Carol Shiner Wilson and Joel Haefner, eds., Re-visioning Romanticism:
British Women Writers 1776-1837 Empathy and medicine: new or forthcoming
collection of essays
- Feld, Steven Sound and Sentiment: birds weeping, poetics, and song
- Felman, Shoshona Testimony
- Ferguson, Moira. Subject to Others: British Women Writers and Colonial
- Fisher, Berenice "Guilt and Shame in the Women's Movement: The Radical
Ideal of Action and Its Meaning for Feminist Intellectuals," Feminist
Studies 10:2 [Sum 1984] 185-212.
- Fliegelman, Jay. Prodigals and Pilgrims: The American Revolution
Against Patriarchal Authority; also Declaring Independence
- Foster, Gaines M. "Guilt Over Slavery: A Historiographical Analysis,"
J. of Southern History LVI:4 1990, 670-71, 674-75).
- Fraser, Nancy Unruly Practices
- Freud, "On Mourning and Melancholia" (see Woodward's article in Discourse)
- Gibbard, Alan Wise Choices, Apt Feelings
- Goffman, Erving The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life
- Grossberg, "Ideology and Affective Epidemics" and "Affect and the
Popular" from We Gotta Get Out of This Place: Popular Conservatism
and Postmodern Culture
- Hall, Catherine White, Male and Middle Class: Explorations in Feminism
and History, esp. ch. 9, "Missionary Stories: gender and ethnicity
in England in the 1830s and 1840s"; also ch. 10, "Competing Masculinities"
(Carlyle and Mill)
- Halttunen, Karen Confidence Men and Painted Women
- Haskell, Thomas "Capitalism and the Origins of the Humanitarian Sensibility"
(American Historical Review 90: 334-61 Apr 85; 547-66 June 85)
- Hass, Robert "Families and Prisons" and "My Mother's Nipples" Michigan
- Herbert, T. Walter Dearest Beloved: The Hawthornes and the Making
of the Middle Class Family
- hooks, bell Yearning: race, gender, and cultural politics
- Hulme, discussion of "Inkle and Yarico," from Colonial Encounters
(see Steele for Spectator selection)
- Intro/ Abu-Lughod, "Shifting Politics in Bedouin love poetry"/ Lutz
on "gender, power, and the rhetoric of emotional control in American
discourse" / Trawick, "Untouchability and the fear of death in a Tamil
Song"; Arjun Appadurai, "Topographies of the self: praise and emotion
in Hindu India"
- Jameson, Frederic Postmodern Culture, "The Cultural Logic of
- Kaplan, Alice French Lessons
- Kaplan, Cora, from Sea Changes: Culture and Feminism
- Karen Halttunen on Lucretia Chapman trial
- Kasson, Michael Rudeness and Civility
- Kleinman and Good, Culture and Depression
- Koestenbaum, Wayne The Queen's Throat: Opera, Homosexuality, and
the Mystery of Desire
- Kristeva, Julia The Powers of Horror, Tales of Love, Black Sun
- Lang on "Class and the Strategies of Sympathy"
- Lamb, Charles Elia, 1823 facsimile edition (Oxford: Woodstock
Books, 1991). Essay on London beggars.
- le Bon, Gustave The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind
- Lehuu on Godey's Lady's Book and images of motherhood
- Lockridge, Kenneth, On the Sources of Patriarchal Rage (the
commonplace booksof Byrd and Jefferson)
- Lorde, Audre Sister/Outsider (Freedom, CA: The Crossing Press,
- Lovell, Terry Consuming Fiction
- Lutz, Unnatural Emotions: Everyday Sentiments on a Micronesion
Atoll and Their Challenge to Western Theory
- Lutz and Abu-Lughod, Language and the Politics of Emotion
- Lutz and White, "The Anthropology of Emotions" Ann Rev Anthro
- Lyotard, The Postmodern Condition, The Differend
- MacKenzie, Henry The Man of Feeling
- Markus, Hazel and Kitayama, Shinobu Emotion and Culture: Empirical
Studies of Mutual Influence
- Marshall, David The Surprising Effects of Sympathy
- Mellencamp, Patricia High Anxiety: Catastrophe, Scandal, Age, &
- Miller, Nancy K. "Facts, Pacts, Acts" Profession; "Autobiographical
Deaths" Massachusetts Rev. 33(1); Getting Personal: Feminist Occasions
and Other Autobiographical Acts
- Miller, William Humiliation
- Morris, David The Culture of Pain
- Mullen, John Sex and Sociability in Eighteenth-Century Fiction
- Nussbaum, Martha Love's Knowledge
- Okin, Susan Moller, "The Making of the Sentimental Family" Philosophy
and Public Affairs 11(1) 1981
- Peck, Janice "TV Talk Shows as Therapeutic Discussion: The Ideological
Labor of the Televised Talking Cure" (unpublished paper)
- Pocock, "Virtue, Passion, and Commerce" in Virtue, Commerce, and
- Probyn, Elspeth Sexing the Self: Gendered Positions in Cultural
- Radway, Janice Reading the Romance
- Rorty, Amelie, "Explaining Emotions" from Mind in Action: Essays
in the Philosophy of Mind
- Rosaldo, Renato Culture and Truth: The Remaking of Social Analysis
- Samuel, Shirley, ed. The Culture of Sentiment: Race, Gender, and
- Samuels, slavery and the body; Joy Kasson on "The Greek Slave"; Dana
- Nelson on "Sympathy as Strategy in...Hope Leslie"
- Sanchez-Eppler, "Bodily Bonds: The Intersection Rhetorics of Feminism
and Abolition" in Samuels, ed.
- Scarry, Elaine The Body in Pain
- Scherer, Facets of Emotion
- Schiesari, Juliana The Gendering of Melancholia: Feminism, Psychoanalysis,
and the Symbolics of Loss in Renaissance Literature
- Sedgwick, Eve Epistemology of the Closet
- Shklar, Judith Ordinary Vices
- Shweder and LeVine, eds. Culture Theory: Essays on Mind, Self,
- Silverman, "Whig Sentimentalism" in The Cultural History of the
- Smith, Adam The Theory of Moral Sentiments eds. D.D. Raphael
and A.L. Macfie (Indianapolis: Liberty Classics, 1982)
- Smith, Paul Discerning the Subject
- Smith-Rosenberg, Carroll, "The Female World of Love and Ritual" Signs
- Sollers, Werner Beyond Ethnicity: Consent and Descent in American
- Sommer, Doris Irresistible Romance: The Foundational Fictions of
- Spencer, Herbert Principles of Psychology
- Steedman, Carolyn Landscape of a Good Woman
- Steele, Shelby "White Guilt," American Scholar 59 Autumn 1990,
- Stewart, Susan On Longing
- Stoler, Ann "'In Cold Blood': Hierarchies of Credibility and the Politics
of Colonial Narratives" Representations 37
- Tarde, Gabriel, "The public and the crowd"
- Taussig, Mick "Culture of Terror, Space of Death: Roger Casement's
Putumayo Report and the Explanation of Torture" Comp Stud in Soc
and Hist 26:3 1984
- Taylor, Charles Sources of the Self
- Tochin, Mourning, Gender, and Creativity in the Art of Herman Melville
- Todd, Janet Sensibility: An Introduction
- Tompkins, Jane "Criticism and Feeling" in College English 39
Oct 1977; "Me and My Shadow" in Criticism and Theory, ed. Linda
Kaufman; Sensational Designs
- Trawick, Notes on Love in a Tamil Family
- Williams, Bernard Shame and Guilt
- Williams, Patricia The Alchemy of Race and Rights: Diary of a Law
- Williams, Raymond "Structures of Feeling" in Marxism and Literature
- Wood, Gordon S. "Conspiracy and the Paranoid Style: Causality and
Deceit in the Eighteenth Century" William and Mary Quarterly
July 1982 (39) I 401-441