CEE611: Earthquake Engineering
Basic course information
Lectures: Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:30 - 6:00 pm, 2305 G. G. Brown
Instructor: Jerome P. Lynch, 2380 G.G. Brown,
(734) 615-5290, email@example.com.
Office hours: Mondays, 3:30 - 4:30 pm, 2380 G. G. Brown (please respect the office hours)
Textbook and optional references:
- Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, S. L. Kramer (Prentice Hall, 1996) - Required
- Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, A. Chopra (Prentice Hall, 2006) - Required
- International Building Code 2009, International Code Council (ICBO, 2009) - Optional
- Earthquake Engineering Handbook, W.-F. Chen and C. Scawthorn (CRC Press, 2003) - Optional
Homework: Homework will be routinely assigned during the course of the semester.
Please note, late homework will not be accepted - make every effort to submit the assignment
in a timely fashion. Homework will often involve Matlab programming (no previous
knowledge of Matlab is necessary). When submitting your assignments, please submit your entire
Matlab routine if a problem calls for its use (otherwise, points will be deducted). Please refrain from using other programming
environments including Excel, among others. Homework will be graded on a scale of 100.
- Regular attendance
- Regular homework assignments
- Small Projects
- Midterm exam (In Class/Open Book)
Grading: Homework 30%, midterm 30%, projects 40%. These
weights are approximate; the right to change them
later is reserved.
Make-up Classes: Due to unavoidable travel of the instructor, make-up classes might be
required. Friday mornings, from 8 to 9:30 am, should be kept available.
- CEE511 Structural Dynamics or equivalent
Catalog description: This course is to serve as an introduction to the multi-disciplinary
field of earthquake engineering. Topics covered in the course include tectonics, ground motion
characterization, probabilistic hazard analysis, response spectra, inelastic structural analysis,
and performance-based earthquake-resistant design.
- [Jan 05-11] Welcome to CEE611 Earthquake Engineering