November 24, 2008
Seminar: The Law in Cyberspace
There will be no class on Thursday, October 9. We will make up the class Friday, November 14, from 1:30 to 3:30 pm in room 424 HH
Remember that your assignment is due at 9:00 a.m. on the Wednesday morning EIGHT (8) days before your scheduled class
Assignment for Thursday, September 4:
Tuesday, September 9:
- Topic selections due by noon. Copies of the signup sheet are here (html) and here (pdf).
Thursday, September 11:
Thursday, September 18:
- Read Reno v ACLU, 521 U.S. 844 (1997)
- Read Ashcroft v. ACLU, 542 U.S. 656 (2004)
- Read ACLU v. Mukasey, (3d Cir 2008)
- Visit the Peacefire home page. Spend a little time exploring what you find there.
- Using one of the search engines on the Sources page, find something on the Internet that you believe that children under the age of 12 should be prevented from seeing. Go back to the search engine and find something else that you believe should not be available to the general public on the Internet at all. There's no reason to limit yourself in either search to pornography unless you'd prefer to. You might instead want to look for noxious hate speech, dangerous or deceptive medical advice, instructions for building weapons of mass destruction or engaging in other illegal activity, instances of consumer fraud, invasions of personal privacy, or examples of massive copyright infringement. Be prepared to discuss your selections in class.
Thursday, Sept. 25
Thursday, October 2
Thursday, October 9
- No class this week. (Makeup class on Friday, November 14 at 1:30)
Thursday October 16
Thursday, October 23
Thursday, October 30
Thursday, November 6
Thursday, November 13
Friday, November 14 Makeup class
Thursday, November 20
Thursday, November 27
- Thanksgiving -- No class this week
Thursday, December 4
Friday, December 5:
- All papers due by noon.
- Please turn in one hard copy and one electronic copy of your paper.
- (If you need to refresh your recollection about length, topic, format, or grading guidelines, consult the seminar overview.)