If you have any trouble downloading any of the manuscripts please let me know
and I will be happy to send you a copy by mail or e-mail.
I always appreciate comments.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2009. The Robust Federation: Principles of Design. New York: Cambridge University Press. (Amazon)
Bednar, Jenna. Forthcoming 2019. “Federalism Theory: The Boundary Problem, Robustness, and Dynamics.” In John Kincaid, ed., A Research Agenda for Federalism Studies. Edward Elgar.
- Liu, Tracy Xiao, Jenna Bednar, Yan Chen, and Scott Page. Forthcoming 2018. “Directional Behavioral Spillover and Cognitive Load Effects in Multiple Repeated Games.” Experimental Economics. DOI linked here
- Bednar, Jenna. Forthcoming 2018. “Modeling the Institutional Matrix: Norms, Culture, and Robust Design.” in A Research Agenda for New Institutional Economics, Claude Ménard and Mary M. Shirley, eds., Edward Elgar Publishers.
- Bednar, Jenna and Scott E. Page. 2018. "When Order Affects Performance: Culture, Behavioral Spillovers, and Institutional Path Dependence." American Political Science Review 112(1):82-98.
- Smaldino, Paul, Marco Janssen, Vicken Hillis, and Jenna Bednar. 2017. "Adoption as a Social Marker: Innovation Diffusion with Outgroup Aversion." Journal of Mathematical Sociology 41(1):26-45.
- Bednar, Jenna and Scott E. Page. 2016. "Complex Adaptive Systems and Comparative Politics: Modeling the Interaction Between Institutions and Culture." Chinese Political Science Review 1:448-471.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2016. “Robust Institutional Design: What Makes Some Institutions More Adaptable and Resilient to Changes in the their Environment than Others?” In Complexity and Evolution: A New Synthesis for Economics, ed. D.S. Wilson and A. Kirman. Strungmann Forum Reports, vol. 19, J. Lupp, editor. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Currie, Thomas, Peter Turchin, Jenna Bednar, Peter J. Richerson, Georg Schwesinger, Sven Steinmo, Romain Wacziarg, and John Wallis. 2016. “Evolution of Institutions and Organizations,” In Complexity and Evolution: A New Synthesis for Economics, ed. D.S. Wilson and A. Kirman. Strungmann Forum Reports, vol. 19, J. Lupp, editor. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Bednar, Jenna, Andrea Jones-Rooy, and Scott E. Page. 2015. “Choosing a Future based on the Past: Institutions, Behavior, and Path Dependence.” European Journal of Political Economy 40(B):312-322.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2015. "The Resilience of the American Federal System." In Oxford Handbook of the United States Constitution, Mark Tushnet, Sanford Levinson, and Mark Graber, eds.
- Bednar, Jenna and Srinivas Parinandi. 2014. "Comparative Politics of Federalism." Oxford Bibliographies in Political Science, ed. Sandy Maisel. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2014. "Subsidiarity and Robustness: Building the Adaptive Efficiency of Federal Systems." NOMOS: American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy, eds James E. Fleming and Jacob Levy. New York: NYU Press.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2013. "Constitutional Change in Federations: The Role of Complementary Institutions". in Arthur Benz and Jorg Broschek, eds., Federal Dynamics: Continuity, Change, and the Varieties of Federalism, Oxford University Press, pp. 277-296.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2012. "Constitutional Systems Theory: A Research Agenda." Tulsa Law Review 48(2):325-337.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2012. "Prosociality, Federalism, and Cultural Evolution." Cliodynamics: The Journal of Theoretical and Mathematical History 3(1):81-93.
- Bednar, Jenna, Scott E Page, and Jameson Toole. 2012. "Revised-Path Dependence." Political Analysis 20(2):146-156.
- Bednar, Jenna, Yan Chen, Tracy Xiao Liu, and Scott E. Page. 2012. "Behavioral Spillovers and Cognitive Load in Multiple Games: An Experimental Study." Games and Economic Behavior 74(1):12-31.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2011. "The Political Science of Federalism." Annual Review of Law and Social Science 7(1): 269-288.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2011. "Nudging Federalism Toward Productive Experimentation." Regional and Federal Studies 21(4):503-521.
- Bednar, Jenna, Aaron Bramson, Andrea Jones-Rooy, and Scott E. Page. 2010. "Emergent Cultural Signatures and Persistent Diversity: A Model of Conformity and Consistency." Rationality and Society 22(4):407-44.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2010. "The Dialogic Theory of Judicial Review: A New Social Science Research Agenda."George Washington Law Review 78(5):1178-1190.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2007. "Valuing Exit Options." Publius: The Journal of Federalism 37(2): 190-208.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2007. "Credit Assignment and Federal Encroachment."Supreme Court Economic Review, Vol. 15:285-308.
- Bednar, Jenna and Scott E. Page. 2007. "Can Game(s) Theory Explain Culture? The Emergence of Cultural Behavior within Multiple Games". Rationality and Society, 19(1):65-97.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2006. "Is Full Compliance Possible? Conditions for Shirking with Imperfect Monitoring and Continuous Action Spaces" Journal of Theoretical Politics 18(3):345-373.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2005. "Federalism as a Public Good." Constitutional Political Economy 16(2):189-205.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2004. "Judicial Predictability
and Federal Stability: Strategic Consequences of Institutional Imperfection."
Journal of Theoretical Politics 16(4):423-446.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2003. "The Madisonian Scheme
to Control the National Government." James Madison: The Theory and
Practice of Republican Government, ed. Samuel Kernell. Stanford University
Press, pp. 217-242. (version from May 2002)
- Bednar, Jenna, William N. Eskridge, Jr., and John Ferejohn. 2001. "A
Political Theory of Federalism." Constitutional
Culture and Democratic Rule, ed. John Ferejohn, Jack N. Rakove,
and Jonathan Riley. New York: Cambridge University Press, pp. 223-270.
Reprinted in: John Kincaid, ed. Federalism. London: SAGE Publications, 2011.
- Bednar, Jenna, John Ferejohn, and Geoff Garrett. 1996. "The Politics of European Federalism." International Review of Law and
Economics 16: 279-95.
Reprinted in: Dieter Schmidtchen and Robert Cooter, eds., Constitutional
Law and Economics of the European Union. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar,
Reprinted in: Lewis F. Powell, ed. Economics of European Union Law. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2007.
- Bednar, Jenna, and William N. Eskridge, Jr. 1995. "Steadying the
Court's Unsteady Path': A Theory of Judicial Enforcement of Federalism."
Southern California Law Review 68:1447-1491.
- Reviews and Shorter Essays
- "Complexity Economists" (aka Beinhocker, Eric, W. Brian Arthur, Robert Axtell, Jenna Bednar, Jean-Philippe Bouchaud, David Colander, Molly Crockett, J. Doyne Farmer, Ricardo Hausmann, Cars Hommes, Alan Kirman, Scott Page, and David Sloan Wilson.) 2019. “Economics after Neoliberalism: Economics Needs to Embrace a Transdisciplinary Approach.” Boston Review, March 19, 2019.
-Media mention: The Economist, “Simple Interactions can have Unpredictable Consequences,” (April 4, 2019).
- Bednar, Jenna. 2016. "U.S. Term Limits v Thornton". American Governance, Schecter, Vontz, Birkland, Graber, Lutz, and Patrick, eds. Macmillan Reference USA / Cengage Learning.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2013. ``Who Opposed the Affordable Care Act?’’ in Benjamin Ginsberg, Theodore J. Lowi, Margaret Weir, and Caroline Tolbert, We the People: An Introduction to American Politics, 9th Edition. New York: W.W. Norton.
Bednar, Jenna. 2012. “Analyzing the Evidence: Federalism and Health Care Reform in the United States.” in Lowi, Ginsberg, Shepsle, and Ansolabehere, American Government: Power and Purpose, 12th edition. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2008. "An Identity-Based Theory of Federalism (Response to Rubin and Feeley)". Publius: The Journal of Federalism 38(2):197-201.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2008. Review of Daniel Ziblatt, Structuring the State: The Formation of Italy and Germany and the Puzzle of Federalism. Perspectives on Politics 6(1)199-200.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2004. "Authority Migration in Federations: A Framework for Analysis." PS: Political Science & Politics July pp. 403-408.
- Bednar, Jenna. 2000. "Formal Theories of Federalism." Newsletter of the
APSA Comparative Politics section.
- Manuscripts Circulating or Under Review
- "The Influence of Economic Geography on Individual Campaign Contributions." (in revision) With Elisabeth R. Gerber.
- "Federalism in Flux: Three Candidate Models to Explain Federal Dynamics." Presented at the conference "Federalism in Flux", University of Wisconsin Law School, November 2013 and IPSA, Montreal, July 2014; in revision.
- "The Value of Secession in Constitutional Evolution." (in revision)
- Federalism as a Mechanism for Collective Problem Solving: How States Improve National Policymaking.
- Coordination Externalities in River Basins. with Joe Klaver.
- "The Argentine Federal Intervention: Explaining its Use and Effect." with Gisela Sin.
- "Compliance within Complementary Institutions." Currently under revision; for an application to federalism, see Chapter 6 of the book.
- Archives, or Whatever happened to that paper you gave at...
- "Shirking and Stability in Federal Systems," aka "Federalism: Unstable By Design". See Chapter 3 of The Robust Federation manuscript, posted above. For a much more developed general model, present in nascent form in the original paper, see ``Is Full Compliance Possible?'' JTP 2006, posted above.
- "Federalism, Judicial Independence, and the Power of Precedent." February 2001. Essay prepared for Conference "Judicial Independence at the Crossroads," University of Pennsylvania Law School, March 2001. (abstract)
- "Modeling the Law (With the Hope of Defining It)." September 2005. Essay written for conference on modeling the law at NYU Law School, October 28-29, 2005.
return to home page
April 18, 2019