Week 8, Friday Lecture Outline
- I. Antecedents of cooperation
- II. Some real world consequences
- III. Mazda's story
- history -- legacy of post-war labor conflict
- engineering -- need for flexibility
- market -- small and specialized
- culture -- collectivist orientation
- team management -- quality circles
- egalitarianism -- fewer status distinctions
- commitment -- increased loyalty
- high performance -- fewer defects and greater market share
- How does Mazda's response to crisis compare with GM's response?
- How many cooperative practices can you identify?
- What role does training play?
- Could Mazda's approach work in the US?
Return to slides.
Return to the Introduction to Organizational Psychology Home Page.
Contact the author via e-mail. Or send e-
mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1996, The Regents of the University of Michigan,
All rights reserved.
Revised - November 4, 1996