Week 7, Friday Lecture Outline
- I. Groupthink: The dark side of agreement
- II. The road to Abilene
- III. Groups at work
- hyper-agreement, inability to entertain alternative arguments
- strong function of group cohesion and group process
- "self censorship," "mind guarding"
- conventional wisdom = groupthink results from social pressure (e.g.,
- alternative = conformity is a comfortable myth that excuses us from acting
- Asch -- coercion in groups is real
- we concoct coercion as a justification for not rocking the boat
- Bob Lozen
- UM BBA and MBA
- plant manager, chip assembly
- Hewlett Packard in Ft. Collins, CO
- use of groups at Hewlett Packard
- failure stories
- success stories
Return to slides.
Return to the Introduction to Organizational Psychology Home Page.
Contact the author via e-mail. Or send e-
mail to email@example.com
Copyright © 1996, The Regents of the University of Michigan,
All rights reserved.
Revised - November 4, 1996