|I am a professor in the School of Information at the University of Michigan, where I also serve as director of our PhD in Information program. My Publications page has links to most of my publications, so please check there for more information. You can also check out Google Scholar for older work. If there is something you'd like to see that isn't linked, just email me and I'd be happy to send. Currently I'm involved in several research projects.
- I am grateful to have received support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the College Knowledge Challenge group to explore the potential for social media to address college-going behaviors among low-income and first-generation college students.
My work in the area of social media and college access can be found here:
- Emily Falk, Sarita Yardi, Joseph Bayer, and I have finished data collection on a newer project examining social media use by adolescents as it relates to outcomes such as social well-being and social capital. This is part of the UM MCubed funding. Our first publication is on snapchat use.
- Although I am not currently writing anything on the topic, I remain fascinated by issues around self-presentation in online dating environments and have done a fair bit of work in this area. Jeff Hancock and I recently published a piece called Profile as Promise: Honest and Deceptive Signals in Online Dating in IEEE's Security and Privacy.
- danah boyd and I wrote a chapter examining social network sites for the Oxford Handbook of Internet Studies edited by Bill Dutton, with a special focus on how they have adapted since our 2007 overview of SNSs (history, definitional issues, scholarship overview).
The final version is available here:
- Cliff Lampe and I just closed out our National Science Foundation-funded project which examined ad-hoc collaborative processes, such as question-asking, in social network sites. Our most recent focus has been mobilization requests in Facebook - instances in which users post requests to their network for help via the status update. Our recent publications can be found on my Publications page.
- We've developed a lot of measures over the past few years, but we've also spent a lot of time refining our approaches. Information about FBI and other scales is available here -- but PLEASE check out my more recent work. Our conceptualizations and approaches have evolved a lot since 2007 ;-)