Principle Investigator      view CV
Assistant Professor, University of Michigan, 2017
Assist. Research Scientist, University of Michigan, 2012
Postdoc, Sullivan Lab, University of Arizona, 2011
PhD, Max Planck Instit. for Mar. Microbiology, 2010, with distinction
MSc, Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, 2007
B.A., Biology - Microbiology, Cornell University, 2005
Research Interests:  All things viral. Conservation; hand-picking microplastics out of the Great Lakes, one piece at a time.
Research Interests: Ecology and evolution of ocean viruses and their impact on the biological pump.
Research Interests: Modeling the co-evolution of Lake Erie's toxic bloom-forming Microcystis and its viruses.
UM '18; Research Technician
Research Interests: Genomic signatures of phage-host co-evolution; Nutrient limitation and viral infection
visiting graduate student from UNIGE, Switzerland
Research Interests: viral ecology of high alpine and polar environments; viral metagenomics
Graduate Student, Frontiers Program, EEB
Research Interests: Joyah's research interests lie at the intersection marine ecology (especially coral ecosystems and fish population biology), environmental toxicology, and environmental justice. She joins us in our commitment to applied ecology and using our science as a tool for a better world.
UMich Junior, EEB, Oceanography (minor)
Research Interests: I'm originally from Grand Rapids, MI, but I consider northern Michigan to be my home. I am broadly interested in anything related to water, with a special interest in the health of marine systems. In my free time, I love to run, explore, and spend time on Lake Michigan.
UMich Freshwoman, UROP
Research Interests: I am an undergraduate from New Jersey. I love science, writing, helping others, and my dogs back home. I participate in many activities, such as sleeping, studying, running to my 9 am, and being active. Go blue!
UMich Sophomore, EEB, PitE, Music (minor)
Research Interests: Ecosystem ecology. I'm a Michigan native and love getting outside whenever I'm not in class or band practice, hiking and camping all across the state. I'm looking forward to learning more about microbes and working together to conserve the Great Lakes!
Former Lab Members
- Emily Chiang, 2018 Doris Duke Conservation Scholar, U Mich
- Jordan Gumm, Progenity
- Molly Radosevich, UM EEB '18, UM Immunology lab
- Rachna Pannu, SFSU graduate program, de la Torre Lab
- Brittan Scales, postdoc at IOW Warnemuende
- Alexi Schnur, UM '18
- Katie Klier, UM '18
- Payton Watt, UM '18
- Isaac Klimasmith, 2017 Doris Duke Conservation Scholar, Wesleyan University
- Alec Flores, 2017 Doris Duke Conservation Scholar, Santa Barbara Community College
- Kaitie Benedek, UM PiTE '17, Wyoming State Forestry intern
- Aaron Adiwidjaja, UROP, UM Environmental Engineering '20
- Yi (Sally) Qiu, UROP, UM Environmental Engineering '20
- Andrew Wong, UROP, UM Environmental Engineering '20
- Brendan Locke
- Kat Wiles
- Michelle Berry
- Greg Boehm, Senior Educator, California Science Center
- Paulina Devlin, MSc student Univ Michigan
- Shubhum Sidhar
- Vinnie Gupta, University of Michigan
- Melissa Freeland, University of Michigan
- Sarah Halperin, grad student UCSB, Bren School Env Sci & Man
- Emma Borjigin-Wang, Harvard University
- Nicole Dear, MPH, CDC fellow
- Gabriel Vargas Asensio, PhD student Univ of Chicago
- Cody Sheik, Assist Prof Univ of Minnesota-Duluth
Opportunities to Join
Inquire with Professor Duhaime if you are interested in joining the lab.
Interested graduate students should be in touch and apply to the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
Are you an interested undergraduate?   Please address the following in your inquiry email:
- Share a CV, which includes (i) your research experiences and skills if you've worked in a lab previously (no worries if you haven't yet, this is the time and the place to do it), (ii) relevant coursework you have taken, (iii) your graduation year and major.
- Time frame you are looking for a position in our lab: how soon would you like to start and for how long/how many semesters do you anticipate involvement with research in the Duhaime Lab?
- Please share your future academic plans, remaining undergraduate time, upon graduation and beyond. What is your vision is currently for where you see yourself going? What skills do you hope to acquire with us that will help you get there?
- Why you feel joining our research group is a good fit for your academic or scientific interests.