Damian R. Beil
Associate Professor of Technology and Operations
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
University of Michigan
Phone: (734) 936-5934
701 Tappan Street, R4422
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1234
Primary Research Interests: Procurement and strategic sourcing, online auctions, health care.
13. Price-Quoting Strategies of an Upstream Supplier, (with Bin Hu and Izak Duenyas). 2012. To appear in Management Science.
12. Does Pooling Component Demands when Sourcing Lead to Higher Profits?, (with Bin Hu and Izak Duenyas). 2012. To appear in Management Science.
11. Simple Auctions for Supply Contracts, (with Bin Hu and Izak Duenyas). 2012. To appear in Management Science.
10. When Does it Pay to Delay Supplier Qualification? Theory and Experiments, (with Zhixi Wan and Elena Katok), 2012. To appear in Management Science.
9. Using a Dual-Sourcing Option in the Presence of Asymmetric Information about Supplier Reliability: Competition vs. Diversification, (with Zhibin (Ben) Yang, Goker Aydin and Volodymyr Babich), 2012. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 14: 202-217.
8. Solving Truckload Procurement Auctions Over An Exponential Number of Bundles, (with Richard Chen, Shervin AhmadBeygi, Amy Cohn and Amitabh Sinha), 2009. Transportation Science, 43: 493-510. (Data files.)
7. Total-Cost Procurement Auctions: Impact of Suppliers' Cost Adjustments on Auction Format choice, (with Dimitris Kostamis and Izak Duenyas), 2009. Management Science, 55: 1985-1999. (Online appendix.)
6. Supply Disruptions, Asymmetric Information and a Backup Production Option, (with Zhibin (Ben) Yang, Goker Aydin and Volodymyr Babich), 2009. Management Science, 55: 192-209.
5. RFQ Auctions with Supplier Qualification Screening, (with Zhixi Wan), 2009. Operations Research, 57: 934-949.
4. A Pooling Analysis of Two Simultaneous Online Auctions, (with Lawrence M. Wein), 2009. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 11: 33-51. (Online appendix.)
3. An Inverse-Optimization-Based Auction Mechanism to Support a Multi-Attribute RFQ Process, (with Lawrence M. Wein), 2003. Management Science, 49: 1529-1545.
2. Analysis and Comparison of Multimodal Cancer Treatments, (with Lawrence M. Wein), 2002. IMA Journal of Mathematics Applied to Medicine and Biology, 18: 343-376.
1. Sequencing Surgery, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy: Insights from a Mathematical Analysis, (with Lawrence M. Wein), 2002. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 74: 279-286.
Auctions to Learn Consumer Demand for a Product with a Short Selling Horizon, (with Matthew L. Potoff), 2007. Under submission.
Split-Award Auctions for Supplier Retention, (with Aadhaar Chaturvedi and Victor Martinez de Albeniz). 2010. Under submission.
The Role of Cost Modeling in Competitive Bid Procurement, (with Yan Yin and Hyun-soo Ahn). 2012. Under submission.
Invited Articles & Chapters
Supplier Selection, 2010. Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science.
Decentralized Supply Risk Management, (with Zhibin (Ben) Yang, Goker Aydin and Volodymyr Babich), 2010. Handbook of Integrated Risk Management in Global Supply Chains, co-edited by Panos Kouvelis, Onur Boyabatli, Lingxiu Dong, and Rong Li. Wiley.
Procurement Auctions, 2010. Tutorials in Operations Research.
Strategic Sourcing (MBA). Fall 2010-12.
Operations Management (MBA). Winter 2008-12.
Operations Management (BBA). Winter 2004-7.
Procurement Research Seminar (PhD). Fall 2005, Winter 2010.
Multidisciplinary Action Project faculty advisor (MBA). Winter 2004-6,10 (18 projects).
Tauber Institute for Global Operations faculty advisor (MBA, MS). Summer 2004-12 (11 projects).
Honors and Awards:
2009 Arnold M. & Linda T. Jacob Faculty Development Award, Ross School of Business
BBA Teaching Excellence Award, voted by 2007 Graduating BBA class
NSF Grant, Simplified Bidding and Solution Structures for Combinatorial Procurement Auctions, DMI-0620153, $149,114, September 1, 2006 - August 31, 2009 (with Amy Cohn (PI), & Amitabh Sinha)
NSF Grant, Supply Risk Management and Asymmetric Information, CMMI-0800158, $220,000, September 1, 2008 - August 31, 2010 (with Volodymyr Babich (PI), & Goker Aydin)
2002 Nicholson Student Paper Competition Finalist