Resources for Speaking Engagements
- Guidance for introducing Deborah Loewenberg Ball
- NAME: Deborah Loewenberg (LOW’ en berg) Ball is a professor of education at the University of Michigan. She is currently dean of the School of Education and director of TeachingWorks.
- ELEMENTS TO USE FOR AN INTRODUCTION:
- Deborah Ball is an expert on mathematics instruction and the professional training of teachers.
- Her work draws on her many years of experience as an elementary classroom teacher.
- In addition to her full-time experience teaching, she continues to teach every summer in a special “turnaround” elementary math program for entering fifth graders.
- Together with her colleagues at the University of Michigan, she is working on a fundamental redesign of the initial preparation of teachers.
- Deborah Ball’s work on teacher education has the ambitious agenda of building a system to ensure that every child in every classroom throughout the U.S. will have a teacher with the skills and knowledge needed to teach skillfully. This involves assessments of performance tied to skill and effectiveness in helping students learn complex academic outcomes, and the professional curriculum and clinical experience needed to achieve that level of performance.
- Deborah Ball’s research has been recognized with many awards and honors. She has served on several national and international commissions and panels focused on the improvement of education. Most recently, she was appointed by President Barack Obama to the National Board for Education Sciences. Deborah is an elected member of the National Academy of Education.