Matching (3 pts. Each)
Directions: Match the word in Column 1 with the best possible answer in Column 2, NO answer may be used more than once.
Column 1 Column 2
1. ____ jihad A. Pilgrimage
2. ____ harquebus B. Steep Cliff
3. ____ mansa C. Holy war
4. ____ hajj D. Rulers of the same family
5. ____ escarpment E. An early shotgun
6. ____ Dynasty
F. Ruler, king
Fill in the blank (3 pts. Each)
Directions: Choose the best word to complete the sentence below, NO word may be used twice.
7. When I laid down my colored cloth he slowly laid down
two baskets, we then exchanged never saying
a word, this is what we call _________.
8. ____________________ is the capitol of Mali, it is known for its many schools set up by the mansa.
9. As the first West African Empire, __________________
proved to be successful in trade and
10. ___________________ is often referred to as "the gift of the Nile."
11. A believer in the religion of Islam is called a _________________.
12. Early traders of Ghana traded mostly gold and ____________.
13. The greatest empire in West Africa was _____________________.
14. The belief that spirits occupy earthly objects is often called ______.
15. Ghana’s decline as an empire was partly due to a series
of _______________ that affected its
Short Answer (7 pts. Each)
Directions: Provide two to three sentences to explain each event.
16. Decline of Songhay:
17. The "greatness" of Mansa Musa:
18. The rise of Islam in Ghana:
19. The Landscape of Africa:
20. Africa is the "Birthplace to humans," why?
MAP (10 pts.)
Draw as accurately as possible a map of the entire continent of Africa and the outlines of the three West African Empires, you MUST use the following method.
Mali: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -
Songhay: Lightly shaded